Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hole in starboard speedo tube behind helm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
schiffsnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schiffsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hole in starboard speedo tube behind helm
    Posted: September-26-2007 at 12:23am
bought a beautiful 93 sn in july. noticed water filtering in behind the helm seat running down the inner hull to the floor. found out that the previous owner had drilled holes through the hull where the speedo tubes go through for a new bimini and then stored it without any tests. of course it started out a small amount of water and then got worse. i'm now ready to fix. i realize that the foam that was sprayed into the step side needs to be cut out CAREFULLY!!. my concern is that, will i be able to mend the speedo tube effectively? and with what would be the best method to do so?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 7:14am
Just replace all of the tubing. It's not that expensive, you won't need to dig into the foam and there are no fittings for mending. You must keep in mind when routing the tubing that it will self drain for freeze protection. The plastic tubing will survive freezing from trapped water but the pulsation chamber will not. I re ran my tubing under the gunnel next to the original but didn't need to remove any foam. I used the one hole nylon tubing clips. The rub rail should have longer than needed machine screws about every 4th mounting hole. The tail end of these should be long enough to fasten the tubing clip to.

Edit: To clear it up, some of the screws used to hold the rub rail on are real long. They protrude on the inside of the boat under the gunnel. They are a convienient spot to use to fasten the tubing clips to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2007 at 12:13pm
Not sure that I can visualize the method Pete is laying out, but I agree, you should be able to replace the rubber tube from Pitot to guage without removing any foam. You'll need to pull out the back seat, and possibly the gas tank for access at the stern, but you shouldn't need to remove foam. BKH
Livin' the Dream

schiffsnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schiffsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 11:52pm
thanks for the response guys but it seems that your offering much more work than needed. i guess that i was hoping for a simple fix by removing more of the foam, that was removed previously by the other owner to get the long screws in for the bimini bracket, and then placing a fiting between the hole. another person suggested barbed fittings, however, that will not seal the tube. my family is in the car wash bus and uses plastic fittings that are laced rather than the normal threaded fittings. i am sure that this will work great fasteners on each side but wanted the input of others
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 7:24am
Schiff, I do see that over on "The" site that someone did recommend a barbed fitting splice. I too thought about it but my concern is getting it to seal properly. The tubing especially as it gets older gets stiff and clamping it on the barb will be difficult. You can try it and cross you fingers! Yes it is easier! For clamping, I would use some soft copper wire wrapped several times around the tubing and twisted tight with pliers. If you have any leak, you will get water all the way up the pitot tube to the leak. Besides getting wet, the water has a higher coeffient of friction in the tube which will give you a larger pressure drop. This may give you a lower reading on the speedo. Some of the speedos are made to be calibrated and hopefully yours are adjustable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic