NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shear on dampener plate bolts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shear on dampener plate bolts
    Posted: September-29-2007 at 11:36am
Doc, Lets say we have a engine that produces 300 ft. lbs. This would be the same as putting a fish scale on the end of a 1 foot long arm bolted to the crank shaft and reading 300 lbs. If you shortened the arm to 6" then the fish scale will read 600 lbs. This is just like a torque wrench where in. lbs. and foot lbs. are a 12 to 1 ratio. So, if the mounting holes in a dampener plate are   at a 6" radius, that 300 lbs will then be 600. Divide the 600 by 3 bolts and each bolt will see a shear of 200 lbs. Not much on each bolt. I sure wouldn't do it but even a stove bolt would handle that.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 11:47am
Thanks Pete,have learned to stop and ask .Just did not feel safe with the set up that the Sachs plate affords you.
I understand that those three bolts would be more than enough to support the rated torque,BUT....
My concern was more the balance , and had i disturbed the underlying fabric of nature."The best laid plans, sometimes end in disaster" Have had this situation call at my door before.Thank you again..............
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 11:52am
you get thet tranny in Doc or are you standing there looking at it?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 12:17pm
Doc, I know you use the torque wrench all the time and understand it. I just tried to explain it in a way that everyone may understand it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2007 at 12:26pm
Pete , thanks again for breaking things down into bite size pieces for this dumb redneck to digest........
Am in the latter stage of R&R this AM.All that is left is replacing the cooler and piping to tie it all in.
Then just reverse tear down mode.Pete you the MAN...........
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2007 at 12:28pm
He caught that the pump was on bacerds too, even before it went into the boat...
I told the doc my trick when someone doesnt align thier trans or they run it low on oil and they want warranty (i can tell) I'll send the trans back with the pump on backwards oops Bacerds
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic