NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper plate
    Posted: October-05-2007 at 1:51pm
I know its redundant on some things we talk about but there are new members all the time, I am stressing once again on the importance and how crucial damper plates are to the driveline, I always recommend new dampers when the transmission is rebuilt, Anyways i have a customer who determined his damper plate to be good, he must have a machine that you mount the damper plate to and it determines if it is good or bad, its a big machine and probably costs 2 or 3 hundred thousand and at this time i just cant afford one, so instead of buying this machine i just tell the customer to replace with new just in case. his transmission failed a third time and he wants compensation because his professional tournament ski boat shop can do the whole job alot cheaper than what i did his trans for..... they must not have a mortgage or workers comp.....
The transmission keeps taking the front pump out and when you remove the pump the bearing keeps pushing into the gear and pre-loading the gear causing it to fail, the bearing is pressed in and mysteriously walks. i covererd the warranty on the second time at no cost to him and he wants all his money back in which i asked him if he is going to change the damper this time and there was a long pause...his attorney will contact me.
Sorry for ranting and getting off track but i feel heat in my head from being PO'D.
I determined the damper as being the problem the second time and made some calls to a couple guys with 20 years behind them including one guy that his father was employed by Borg Warner and gave him the scenario with no description of what went on and both replied....you gotta dad damper.
Case solved, what would you do? these dampers create all types of problems including the problem were seeing on this trans. never neglect overlooking the damper its under 100 bucks and will save you thosands in grief
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 12:26am
Yes Eric I have the same trouble in my line of work too.Makes you wonder why they even call you since they already know everything!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 2:41pm
He gets my moron of the week certificate, I always try to be the nice guy and guys like this have blinders on to the fact that hey maybe i do have a damper problem, I interview these guys on the phone and you can pick up the little things that dont add up, the story always changes alittle everytime you here it and the plot thickens, I'll ask how is the alignment? they'll answer fine, what that really means is it wasnt checked, I'll ask how is the damper? they say it looks brand new, what that means is that it is 2 hours from letting loose, just 2 weeks ago i rebuilt a trans for this guy, he was a partner on the boat with his friends and he said we put 4 hours on the boat wakeboarding Saturday, on Sunday we took it out again and on the first power up the engine shot up and that was it, no forward no reverse, i asked him to remove a cooler line and fire the engine and let me know what happened, he called later and said yep the pumps no good because we popped the line and no oil came out. I asked did you change the damper? the answer was no it looked good, sure as s--t the hub broke on the damper. if you add things up.... 1 beautiful sunday afternoon lost, a day to r and r trans, 3 more days UPS to get the plate.
The moral of the story, If you have the trans out spend the Benny Franklin and change the damper
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 8:43pm
Eric,
I still need one of your high teck damper plates. Give me a call. Rebuilding my carb right now (so many little pieces)then I am about ready to put the motor/trans back in the boat.   
253 405 5827
Tim
88 2001
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 12:33am
Eric,

As a professional it is apparent that you stand by your work and that is great. If I were you going forward if the dampner plate is only $100 then state up front and in writing that your warranty requires a new dampner to ensure the old dampner does not ruin the new transmission as well as for customer satisfaction in that your customers will have a better experience with you and your products if they purchase a new dampner. If they refuse to buy a new dampner with a trans rebuild then there is no warranty. It will most likely not cost you any business and if it does cost a few deals, those are most likely ones where they did not buy a new dampner and if the trans blew, you end up rebuilding it for free anyway which means zero profit and an unhappy customer becaue they have to pull the trans a second time and ship back and reinstall. Bad for you and bad for the customer. Maybe you can find a wholesale price on dampners and even if you don't make any profit on the dampners at least you can have them available for sale and keep these trans issues/problems down to a minimum. Hope that helps...

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 3:26am
Wise advice . I would buy the dampner if it had to do with the warranty. If I didnt know who Eric was .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2007 at 12:45pm
I can only recommend new dampers and i do, and 99% of the time they replace, it basically is stated in our warranty, we warranty the transmission for our parts and labor and any outside issues we dont, such as low oil, mis-alignment, bad damper its a fine line. im here they are there and after it leaves my shop i have no control on installation, and of coarse if something is under a warranty the owner will try to fall in those guidelines and say its nothing he did(go figure) I know our track record, i spin every trans i rebuild and when someone calls with a issue im pretty much baffled because i didnt see the installation, By statistics though i generally know something went wrong on installation, I bought 80 seal and gasket kits this year and we had 2 problems, this being one of them and the other was a bad mis-alignment problem, so i pretty much know what happens to the transmissions when they leave
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 8:18am
Eric,

Do you have a part number for the damper plates you use?

I think I need one - get a creaking noise from that area when at idle in gear.

Not sure where I'll get one from in the UK, but I'll have a go.

Tom
Easily Parted From Money
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 10:16am
I order them under my suppliers part number, and it is different then the sachs number, somewhere in these threads is a picture and a part number, or DIM has them and will export
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 10:34am
I'll do a search and look for the number.

I thought that someone said the DIM ones were a bit spinky, or do they do decent ones as well.
Easily Parted From Money
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 5:06pm
I have the Sachs, I'll have to check on shipping, Fed Ex does handle export, do you know which one you need exactly?
Eric
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2007 at 7:29am
Not exactly.

I think I should probably remove the old one and see what I can pick up from that.

My plan is to take a week off just before or after christmas and crash in to all the jobs then.

I'm kind of itching to get on with stuff, but realistically I'm not going to need the boat until May next year. Problem is, if I don't start it'll be may and half the stuff wont have got done!
Easily Parted From Money
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 7:34pm

Eric,
I need a new damper and remember reading here (somewhere) there is a couple of different ones available-one was causing issues?

What is the best one to grab for my 1.23.1 trans? and can you supply?

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 10:16pm
you have to go thru DIM, because the PCM trans uses a oddball input shaft with 15 splines and they are the only ones to use it. it makes it a proprietary item that you have to get from a pcm dealer, When the need is great enough Sachs will start to manufacture one for this stlyle trans. sorry Eric
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 10:28pm
Eric, you got that dance step down too. As the above post shows , you too can do the Mamba.....
The price you pay to have a left hand motor spin a right hand prop.Did CC see the future way back then,leave it to the bean counters.
Is it cheaper to build a rh motor or use a left hand tranny that uses all one off parts,maybe they were on to something way back then.............
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 10:28pm

Thanks Eric,
The local PCM agent had three goes at getting one for me and got it wrong three times-I will get one from Dim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 10:28am
Doc, I know a guy who already sent a sample gasket kit, clutch plate kit, forward drum, and damper plate for the PCM's to his supplier for some reverse enginnering and manufacturing, once again competition drives the price down.
it will take some time though
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic