NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb finish question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb finish question
    Posted: October-25-2007 at 9:34pm
Got my replacement carb in today but before I put it on I was wondering if there are any tricks to keeping a carb looking new. Seems they tarnish pretty quickly and start to look like crap.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:09pm
Alan, I seem to remember that someone here had their carb powder coated. I feel that would work because the curing temp of the powder is low enough that it wouln't hurt the zine die casting. The bad thing is it would require lots of disassembly and masking. Lots of work! Anodizing is another option but it being a chemical etching process, I would be afraid of it hurting some of the porting. Clear laquer out of a spray can could be used but it may yellow with the heat and it may flake off as well. This is a tough one unless you want to go through a lot of work for a high temp powder coat.

Thanks for filling me in on the potential ebay scam(s).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:23pm
Silicone spray?
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 2:30pm
They do sell engine clear coat at any auto parts store in a spray can that is rated for 800 degrees.That may do the trick for you.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 2:38pm
Shoulda just invested in a chrome plated one then.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 2:41pm
Maybe Eastwood Co. they love stuff like that.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Maybe Eastwood Co. they love stuff like that.

Thanks, great site, I might invest in a small powder coat system and play around.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 10:43pm
If you powdercoat Zinc, make sure & prebake the zinc 1st. Otherwise it can outgas & leave blisters in the finished paint. I've seen it often at work.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 10:42am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you powdercoat Zinc, make sure & prebake the zinc 1st. Otherwise it can outgas & leave blisters in the finished paint. I've seen it often at work.

Chris, You are talking about pre baking the zinc powder before you blend it to the base carrier correct? How hot and for how long? What is the zinc out gassing from? Moisture problems in the zinc powder?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 10:58am
Sorry for being unclear. The Zinc casting will outgas (don't know the exact metallurgy phenomena) when it goes thru the paint bake cycle, creating blisters in the paint. The best prevention for this is to prebake the casting (Carb body in this case) before painting. At the factory I work at, our supplier has to 1st run the bare parts thru his bake oven w/o painting & this has fixed the problem. So I would say that whatever the bake time & temp is for the powder coat would be a good guide. Post a photo of the finished carb. You going to wax it too?

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 11:59am
Chris, Its been awhile since I've been over to the powder coater who does our work so maybe the process has changed? I always thought that all parts were preheated before the powder is electrostaticly applied and then the part is heated again. I had a complete powder line quoted about 10 years ago and remember that the monorail conveyor went through a preheat tunnel after the cleaning stage. The project never went through because the amount of work we wanted to do required a rather large system. The monorail conveyor even went up onto the roof for several stages due to space problems! Are they skipping the part preheat now?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 9:04pm
Well, it's hard to say if our powder coater is using the same set up as yours.

I hope the Carb project goes well.

Alan - keep us posted on the outcome!

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 9:26am
Thanks for the tips Chris, I'm not sure what I'll do if anything other than bolt it on. I've got some other parts going to the powdercoater this winter so I'll ask him about it.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 4:02pm
Alan,
Question,
How is this powdercoating system going to help get stringers in the 76' ??? HA....

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic