Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

removal of exhaust drain plugs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
schiffsnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schiffsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removal of exhaust drain plugs
    Posted: November-06-2007 at 7:57pm
first winter with my 93 nautique. everything was going well until i got to the drain plugs on the xhaust manifolds. what is the proper tool to get them out? i have an owners man but the pics a copied black and white so they are about useless! also, the removal of the impeller. confused a bit. is the impeller in the raw water pump, or the circulating pump, or are they the same thing? need to get it out but the man. got me confused and of course no pic to help. i know that the circulating pump is up front where a drain plug is in the bottom of the elbow however it looks to be a task to get it apart if the impeller is in there. please help a new nautique owner but avid boater
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 8:14pm
Plugs on the exhaust manifolds can be removed with a 1/2" drive ratchet. Cover the carpet with a towel and have something to redirect the water (I use step flashing) as there will be some sediment and scale.

The circ pump is not the same thing as the raw water pump- the RWP is on the left (when facing the motor) and the circ pump is mounted on the motor directly above the crank. The impeller that the manual is referring to is in the raw water pump.

Its easy to remove the RWP- there are two 9/16" bolts holding it on. Remove them and take the pump out of the boat. The pump comes apart with three 7/16" bolts, and you can then remove the impeller. I store both the pump and impeller inside for the winter. There is a paper gasket in the RWP, but you can get several years out of it. If you need to replace it, SkiDIM sells it.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 8:22pm
There is a paper gasket in the RWP? I don't think I've ever seen it. I know there is an o-ring but that's about the only gasket I can think of in there. FWIW my RWP bolts up with 1/2" bolts on the 2000.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

schiffsnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schiffsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 8:40pm
MUCH Thanks TRBenj. i feel like an azzz after thinkin about the exhaust manifolds. thanks for the quick response. goin to finish up now!!! its extermely nice having the insight on this board!!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Plugs on the exhaust manifolds can be removed with a 1/2" drive ratchet. Cover the carpet with a towel and have something to redirect the water (I use step flashing) as there will be some sediment and scale.

The circ pump is not the same thing as the raw water pump- the RWP is on the left (when facing the motor) and the circ pump is mounted on the motor directly above the crank. The impeller that the manual is referring to is in the raw water pump.

Its easy to remove the RWP- there are two 9/16" bolts holding it on. Remove them and take the pump out of the boat. The pump comes apart with three 7/16" bolts, and you can then remove the impeller. I store both the pump and impeller inside for the winter. There is a paper gasket in the RWP, but you can get several years out of it. If you need to replace it, SkiDIM sells it.

I didn't know I knew anyone that actually did that. How many seasons do go between impellers?
I store both the pump and impeller inside for the winter.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I didn't know I knew anyone that actually did that. How many seasons do go between impellers?
I store both the pump and impeller inside for the winter.

Since it only takes a min to take the pump off and take it apart, I figure its time well spent. It gets the last of the water out and keeps the impeller vanes from taking a set. I inspect it every year, but havent replaced the one in my '90 yet. I think my dad said he replaced the one in his '92 every 3 years or so- which left me with several new-looking spares.

Joel, this is the gasket that Im talking about. I believe it goes between the flat brass plate and the pump housing- I never really noticed it either until this year.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 11:41am
Wow, I've never noticed that gasket before, ever, and I've taken those pumps apart at least a dozen times. Amazing. I'll have to pay attention next time I take mine apart.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 12:18pm
By the time you pull both hoses off and loosen the belts, it's almost off anyway, but I've never done it.

My 5.8 had its first impeller failer after 7 years. I replaced it again after 6 years as a precaution and found one torn vein. Probably every 2-3 years is a good idea.

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2007 at 3:09pm
I screwed up. I was going to winterize on Monday (Off of work for Veterans Day) but last night it got down into the 20s. I ran out and drained the block, and trans cooler but could not get the plugs out of the exhaust manifolds.

What should I look at to see if something froze and broke?
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic