Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb wedge plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb wedge plate
    Posted: October-08-2004 at 4:45pm
Does everyone have/use a carb wedge plate to level the carb?, 351 ford in my 1978 just has the PCV spacer and slants at a pretty good angle.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2004 at 5:43pm
Morosso makes one or go to glen-L marine on the net
www.glen-l.com
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 12:01am
If it is a holley carb you do not need the wedge plate but if you use either the rochester or carter style carb you need the wedge carb plate. But why do you want to add the wedge plate anyways?
Captan1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 1:51am
I use the Holley that came with the boat and by the way it's a marine carb with the vent tubes turned down into the bowls, no PCV on the carb so I use the PCV spacer. It just seems to be at such an angle especially with bow up attitude added to it, maybe my floats are a little to high, starting after run takes a few seconds like possibly fuel has leaked in.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 8:35am
It does, get a plate.
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 12:09pm
Check your float levels in the water. I adjusted mine ad nausium until I grabbed the tools and headed for the river.
1979 Ski Nautique
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the input, it's nice to know what other people might do.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2004 at 5:02pm
Get a plate, you can drill and tap the wedge for the vaccum port. It does matter on any carb, holley especally, very critical on float heights. The easiest way to adjust floats, put a7/16 drill between the float and the top adjust accordingly.If you were running a fuel retuen system it would not be that critical.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 7:31pm
bill ,do you have a holly carb for a 210 intercepter ? or tell me what size i need for it ?
kenny g
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2004 at 2:50pm
Weel I just ordered one from Glen-L, a 12 degree, we'll see if I have room under the hood for the PCV plate also. Might have to convert the wedge plate to a PCV connection.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 5:01pm
I don't have a spacer, I thought about getting one to see if it would help in performance. But on my Holley the float is perpendicular to the exhaust, if it was parallel with the exhaust a wedge would be needed.
Tim D
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 8:52pm
The reason behind my necessity ( I think ) is it is a little difficult to start the engine after shutting down for any period of time. I'm thinking maybe the carb is leaking some fuel while off, just enough to flood it. We'll see. I'm running a Pertronix igniter through a 1.5 ohm ballast resister, I don't think I need the resistor,, 12 volts with a 1.5 ohm coil is enough to bring down the amperage to Pertronix recommendation of 8.5 so maybe not a hot enough spark to start, I don't know yet. After that maybe I'll tackle the slop in the steering.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 1:25pm
maybe you need to rebuild the carb instead of guessing?
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 8:38pm
Who's guessing now?    I have rebuilt it this summer, the suckers on a pretty good slant, I just went through the carb and ignition this summer because I just bought the boat and feel it's a good thing to know where it stands. I'm giving it a shot this weekend, I'll let you all know if it helps.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 11:07am
If slants were good cars (carb) would had run one, however the engines sit about a 3 degree angle,none necessary. In 1997 CC saw the light and took the horrible angle off their engines .
It has nothing to do with exhaust, with carbs especially Holleys float levels are critical. Under power the angle changes as the boat goes to plane.I know the pump keeps them up, if they had a fuel return system I would agree. Under fuel pressure with internal regulators, floats drop to a critical low and only fill when the float drops. However with a return fuel system system fuel is in a constant flow all the time also helps to maintain cooler fuel. Ever wonder all injected engines run a return system?
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 5:20pm
Yea... I'm with SS 201, old Correct Crafts like my 78 have a good slant going and more under way, wish I had FI.
23FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2004 at 5:26pm
A wedge plate solved the problem you describe with starting the after sitting for over 10 minutes after running. If you run the engine til hot, shut it off, then remove the flame arrestor, then watch the carb will probably leak a small amount of fuel causing the it to slightly flood out. I put the 7 degree plate on my '85 Fish and the carb is almost level now. Instant solution. Good Luck!
64Skier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2004 at 7:46am
Gotta jump in!

New Edelbrock Carb/Manifold without the wedge plate ran terrible. About 10 conversations with Edelbrock trying everything from floats to jets, metering rod and their springs did nothing. I could also see gasoline behind the secondaries...when I told Edelbrock about this they went "quiet". Seems that a wedge would fix the problem and did, but in Marine Rules, a carb cannot have another gasket between itself and the manifold???

$50 wedge plate fom Offenhauser...now I'm skiing!
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2004 at 2:35pm
The marine "rules" as I've read as far as gaskets is.... not supposed to have a gasket between the spark arrestor and the carb, incase of flooding or somehow getting fuel on the gasket and then a backfire you have a saturated gasket on fire. Makes sense, I took mine off. I put my wedge plate on but haven't had a chance to test the performance, I think I'm going to try to drill a hole in the wedge plate for the PCV inlet and dump the 1" PCV spacer, I have the manifold- then PCV plate- then wedge plate - then carb, to many possible vacuum leaks. I'd really like to install an aftermarket intake too.I keep saying to myself " Christmas first Steve then boat stuff" .
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2004 at 10:19pm
Yup, seems to be fixed. Idles down to 600 and runs better. The only problem I ran into was the angle the carb is on now kept the manifold studs from aligning into the holes on the base plate, I now have the stud coming straight up through the wedge plate to a 12 degree angle base the carb sits on. I had my handy dandy Dermal tool with me to correct that.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2004 at 5:09am
Thanks for the info about the gasket. I was worried about the Marine Rules but if the boat won't ski....

BTW the Offenhauser was a 12 Deg.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic