Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

outboard winterization

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: outboard winterization
    Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:14am
I am absolutely embarassed to ask this question on this forum, but I have to. Does anybody have any info on how to winterize a 115 Evinrude Outboard with FICHT oil injection and it is a 2003? This question may not be brand specific, but I am absolutely outboard stupid. Dad bought a pontoon this summer but they didn't have a Evinrude motor manual. I told him to order a manual, but hasn't gotten done and winter is quickly approaching. I am really only concerned about fogging the cylinders. I have read something about the spark plugs have to be clocked. I am debating about just fogging the snot out of it through intake. The marina from where he bought it said to just pinch off the oil return line and make it smoke like crazy for about 20 seconds. Sure makes sense, but I sure don't have any idea where that line is.

Again, I am absolutely embarassed to ask this question, but I figure many of you out there have at least a little outboard experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Todd
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 5:08am
All I ever did with my Mercury 80 hp was to fog thru the carbs then thru each spark plug hole. I would clean the plugs after startup in the spring as they would be pretty dirty. Don't forget to change the lower unit oil - if it has any water in it you'll be buying a new case.

Our outboard is now for sale - no more quicksilver oil for me!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 11:14am
weit
It's an easy process. I did my 85hp Force yesterday, my 90hp Johnson 2 weeks ago. I put Stabil in the fuel and run it for at least 10 minutes with the garden hose and "earmuffs"on the water pickup points. I then spray fogging oil in the air intake which chokes it out.
Then, just like Snob said, spray fogging oil in each cylinder through the spark plug holes for 3 seconds. Then rotate the engine by hand to lubricate the cylinder walls. Grease all the zerk points and spray lithium grease on the linkages.
Replace the gear case oil. If you see any signs of water (milkyness), you may have a bad shaft seal.. I had a seal go bad because of fishing line wrapped around the shaft.
That's about it, good luck
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 4:13pm
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. Doesn't sound that bad at all. I just need to find the air intake on that motor. About the most I have stared at that thing was skiing behind it. I didn't think that a 115 pushing a 24ft tritoon would pull me up on one ski. Well, it did easily so I lost that bet.

Thanks again guys!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 4:33pm
weit
Look for the carbs. The air intake is on the non-business end of the carberators.
Check out this pontoon. I'm the guy in the middle.

pontoon footin

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 8:03pm
As I recall on an Evinrude there is an aluminun plenum casting that you can remove to get at the carb intakes. Should only be a few screws to remove. But the one I had was from the 70's so take this advice with a grain of salt!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 11:51pm
I've also read you should trim the engine back down instead of leaving it tilted all winter. I've only fogged through the intake, she's still puttering along just fine after atleast 10 years. 70 hp Force.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 12:14am
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I am absolutely embarassed to ask this question on this forum, but I have to. Does anybody have any info on how to winterize a 115 Evinrude Outboard with FICHT oil injection and it is a 2003? This question may not be brand specific, but I am absolutely outboard stupid. Dad bought a pontoon this summer but they didn't have a Evinrude motor manual. I told him to order a manual, but hasn't gotten done and winter is quickly approaching. I am really only concerned about fogging the cylinders. I have read something about the spark plugs have to be clocked. I am debating about just fogging the snot out of it through intake. The marina from where he bought it said to just pinch off the oil return line and make it smoke like crazy for about 20 seconds. Sure makes sense, but I sure don't have any idea where that line is.

Again, I am absolutely embarassed to ask this question, but I figure many of you out there have at least a little outboard experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Todd

Get the manual. I know ours have an automatic winterization cycle. Its nothing like winterizing a non-electric o/b.
Tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic