NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse Engineered Dash Panel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse Engineered Dash Panel
    Posted: November-13-2007 at 7:28pm
Well I just couldn't stand it any longer. My dash on the 68 was looking so bad.... The factory made it out of cardboard sandwiched between vinyl wood grained paneling turned inside-out and engraved with their logo, believe it or not.

I took it apart, measured, and drew it up. A local water-jet cutting shop is cutting one out of 1/4" marine grade aluminum. Then it's off to the powder coater.

Here is a link to the drawing with dimensions. Let me know if you want the AutoCad file and I will upload it.

1968 Mustang Dash
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 7:50pm
Jim, looks great. I wouldnt mind having the ACad file since you went through all the trouble. If you cant upload it, send it to TRBenj@gmail.com if you dont mind.

Whats the height of the 3/8" and 1/2" holes, by the way?

Edit: I never noticed this before, but it appears there was a change to the dash panel in mid-'68. Jim's would be the later (68-70) panel.

Early '68:

The dash on your '66 is different, right Jim?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 7:53pm
Jim- Nice drawing! The auto cad file will be a nice addition to the reference section.
Can you email it to Keith?
-Brad
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 2:24am
Tim: You sure can put up the coolest stuff here....don't you ever have to do any real work?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 3:04pm
Jim, It sounds like a great project. The layout would be a fantastic addition to the ref. section.

The later dash panels were not paper but rather a thermally fused melamine resin decorative paper (wood grain) on top of MDF (medium density fiberboard). The edges and the routed engraved lettering were hot wax/resin sealed. If this wax/resin fails then the MDF will puff up from water moisture and look pretty close to brown kraft wrapping paper!! One of the first manufacturers was Panolam and they started in 1945. I don't know if CC used their product or not because by the 60's there were plenty of people making it. The basic panel and the process has evolved over the years into many directions but the most common today is laminate flooring.

Tim, I think the 66 would have the gauges mounted directly in the fiberglass dash?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 11:46pm
TRBenj, Opps, I'll add the vertical dimensions of the holes to the drawing. The center of the switch holes to the bottom edge of the panel is 7/8". The vert distance between the centers of the switch holes and the fuse holder holes is 1-1/2". Don't bank on these - I need to pull up the drawing and double check. Yep, my '66 looks like the lower pic in your post.

Barracuda, good idea. I'll email it to Keith after I assemble the new panel and make sure the measurements work.

Sir 8122pbrainard, your knowledge is exceeding all expectations. You nailed it. Your description is exactly how my dash is made. I just could not identify the components. And, it is puffing out in spots - it looks horrible.

I have noticed in pics that some 66s do have the gauges mounted in the dash - mine is not that way.

Jbear, work?

-Jim
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:24am
Jim: You guys are all on in the afternoons...having fun here...while I am working.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic