NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning Gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Gelcoat
    Posted: October-12-2004 at 2:00am
I have some muriatic acid and thought it may work to clean the scum off of my boat. Any thoughts are appreciated
1979 Ski Nautique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 8:56am
I use a product called Star-Brite hull cleaner. I buy it at Wal Mart for about $7/quart. A quart will do my boat about 4 times. Just wipe it on, and the hull turns white - it's amazing. It has a smell like acid, but I don't know what kind of acid it is.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 1:24pm
While I don't typically hype particular products, the stuff Jameski mentioned works better than anyone else's product I've tried. I believe he's referring to the same squirt bottle I buy which I use every time I pull the boat out for that purpose. It's also one of the few I've found that easily removes the black smoot(sp) off the transom or sides from rich exhaust fumes.

If the scum is the product of months or years of sitting in the water or has turned to haze, I've found that many times no cleaner will take it off and that a cleaner-wax product and if not successfull there, then compounding may be necessary, and best applied with a heavy duty machine and not an orbital buffer. Case by case.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic