Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Dr. shell oil question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Dr. shell oil question
    Posted: December-05-2007 at 7:16pm
I hear that you have talked to the Shell people about Rotella. Did you ever ask them about their 5W40 synthetic and wether it has ZDDP? I run that in my diesel truck in the winter. I was wondering about buying a extra jug this winter for my boat. This would be for summer use just to clarify. I did buy some old formulation 15W40 rotella and Tim informed me that it was supposed to be straight 30 or 40 weight that has the ZDDP. I honestly don't have a problem running synthetic in my engine. I have switched back and forth in my truck for years during the hot and cold months. No issues at all.

But I was curious if you had any info on the Shell Rotella 5W40 full synthetic. 17 bucks a gallon. Still cheaper than most other synthetics.

Main reason for doing this is to get a few more hours out of my oil change. I almost always put 60-65 hours on my boat a year. 50 hours is oil change recommendation. I hate changing oil for 10 hours of use.

Any thoughts???
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 9:10pm
From the info gathered in my conversation was this;
The Rotella 30T and the 40T were the only product still useing the old formula,ZDDP.
Roller lifters and "particulate filters" had mandated the removal of these heavy metals as friction modifiers in their "multi- vis" oils.
The above 30T and 40T are the only formulas suited to our needs,4 cycle with flat tappett cams and no emisson devices.
Hope I shed some light on this subject for you,the oil co. tend to treat us as mushrooms.
Keep me in the dark and feed me manure.......
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2007 at 9:22pm
It might be worth a call to Shell to find out for sure. You didnt specifically talk to them about synthetics, did you Doc?

Ive been told that some Mobil1 synthetics in the heavier blends still have ZDDP, so maybe Shell has something comparable.

For what its worth, I wouldnt be worried about running synthetic in an older motor, though I personally wouldnt extend the OCI to 65 hours. Instead, Id change at 30-40 hrs to get even life out of the 2 changes. Then again, it probably wont kill your engine either.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 12:03pm
Good point Tim. Maybe I will call Shell if I can find a good number...maybe doc could forward that on to me? If I were going to stick to shorter oil change intervals, I'll stick to dino. I'm not afraid to go 60 or a few more hours on regular oil anyway. I sure don't rag on my motor. We just do a lot of cruising at 23mph or puttin' around the coves. This motor sure doesn't break a sweat very often.

I'll try to find more info on this Rotella synthetic oil and make a decision from there. Thanks!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 12:47pm
Weather it makes sense or not, here is part of a discussion on airplane oil:

The following is from the Cessna Pilots Society Forum. Ed Kollin is the
chemist/engineer who helped design CorrosionX, Rejex and CamGuard. Might
have to change to Phillips 20W-50. Currently using AS W100 and CamGuard,
with much improved oil analysis wear indications since using CamGuard (1,000
hours on IO-520D).

MP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI there is very little difference in the available oils.

Here is a breakdown of the different oils. They are VERY simple formulations
and all are compatible in any proportion. The viscometerics is the only
thing that will vary by mixing multi with straight weight.

AeroShell W100 - Solvent 600N commodity basestock, brightstock (thick)
commodity basestock, dispersant, antioxidant, antifoam, and pour point
depressant. 35 year old technology.

AeroShell W100Plus - Solvent 600N commodity basestock, brightstock (thick)
commodity basestock, dispersant, antioxidant, rust inhibitor, copper
corrosion inhibitor, antifoam, and pour point depressant. 35 year old
technology.

Phillips 20W-50 - Solvent 600N commodity basestock, brightstock (thick)
commodity basestock, viscosity modifier, dispersant, antioxidant, antifoam,
and pour point depressant. 27 year old technology

Aeroshell 15W50 - PAO synthetic basestock, solvent 600N commodity basestock,
brightstock (thick) commodity basestock, viscosity modifier, dispersant,
phosphate antiscuff, antioxidant, rust inhibitor, copper corrosion inhibitor
and antifoam. 20 year old technology.

Exxon Elite 20W-50 - PAO synthetic basestock, solvent 600N commodity
basestock, brightstock (thick) commodity basestock, multi-functional
(dispersant) viscosity modifier, phosphate antiscuff, antioxidant, and
antifoam. 15 year old technology.

In my opinion they are all poor. Would you except rust and deposits in your
car? Why do you in your plane?

Regards,

Ed

You should know I designed Camguard as the (minimum) additive package that
should be in aviation oil. I assume Shell did this as well. Exxon copied
Aeroshell 15W-50 so in a roundabout way they did also. Formulators
historically know what additives to put in piston engine oils, antioxidants,
corrosion inhibitors, anti-foam, etc. There are a few problems when you
formulate for a "specialized" case like an aircraft engine. Leaded fuel,
very high blow-by rates and ashless requirements make for interesting
challenges.

When Mobil AV1 came out using 100% PAO synthetic basestock, it was obvious
to me that they had little understanding of piston aviation. Shell then made
the same mistake, oops no we didn't, we only used 50% PAO (the worst
possible synthetic base stock for aviation).

Then they additized their oil based on the typical yet incorrect notion of
protecting the oil from breakdown as they would in auto or diesel oils. BUT
oils don't breakdown (oxidize) in the short amount of time they are in our
aircraft they become CONTAMINATED. And formulating for contamination is very
different than formulating for breakdown.

I know Shell and Exxon products are woefully inadequate. I know what is in
them and I have seen their lack of performance. I know they have 0.05% rust
inhibitor which is 20 times to low. I know they have 0.5% antioxidant which
is WAY to low. I know they use phosphate esters as anti-scuff agents whose
use is historic in nature not performance driven and not without real
problems.

I know these things and because Shell and Exxon use PAO and the additives in
the concentration they use I can only conclude they do not understand the
target engines they are formulating for.

This does not mean planes will fall out of the sky using Aeroshell or Elite,
but you would never accept rust or deposits in your car why do you in your
aircraft?

Camguard uses 11 high performance additives most of which are
multi-functional. They are all commercially available and expensive. I use
multiple ferrous and non ferrous corrosion inhibitors, multiple anti-wear
chemistries a very potent antioxidant/deposit control package. When I was
working on the Elite for Exxon I reported my findings. They were surprised
at the cost of the additive and VERY surprised at the recommended treat
rates. The final formulation was a copy of the Aeroshell 15W-50 for business
reasons.

So what do I think? I recommend what I use, Phillips 20W-50 with Camguard
year round. The additives in Camguard SWAMP those in Aeroshell 15W-50 and
Elite so why pay for them.

Well Greg you did it, you got me started.

Regards,

Ed

http://www.aslcamguard.com/index.htm

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

Good point Tim. Maybe I will call Shell if I can find a good number...maybe doc could forward that on to me?

I'll try to find more info on this Rotella synthetic oil and make a decision from there.

Todd, I spoke to the Boat Dr this morning and we went over his conversation that he had with Shell again. The chemical engineer he spoke to made it pretty clear that only the straight 30w and 40w Rotella-T conventional oils still have the ZDDP. It doesnt sound like they have anything else that has it- including synthetics.

The big push to eliminate the heavy metal additives comes from the particulate filters that are on the new diesels. My guess is that oils that are meant to work on these engines will be eliminating the zinc (if they havent already). The only oils that are likely to still have the additives from this point forward will be offroad/racing oils.

How'd I do, doc?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 4:55pm
Tim, once again you have raised the bar.
As per our conversation, we are very low on the pecking order,very low tech engines we have guys. The big bucks are with the Hi Tech engines and the "superior" synthetics.
Again Tim,247,555 miles on a 3.8 MoPar with 20/50 castrol.Would a synthetic have done the same,and what would the cost break down be.
The other point Tim and I talked of was Oil Change Mandates....Oil being the cheapest component in my engine package , I feel that it heeds to come out when "DIRTY" not at a set hourly schedule.
Plus it gives me something to do on the old girl when she is not in the water....If I take care of Her she will return the attention.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 12:57pm
Just a side note here. I have always used a hand pump to siphon the oil out of my crank case, this fall when I changed I decided to siphon, and then I drained the case. An additional quart came out that I would have missed.

Of course my bilge was pretty messy, but what else is new. I'm going to look for one of those crank case drain hoses for next time.

I've always used Castrol, put it in my Ford truck, the ford car, the boat, and the old motorcycle (brand name not mentioned).

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

I've always used Castrol, put it in my Ford truck, the ford car, the boat, and the old motorcycle (brand name not mentioned).

Chuck, Castrol is great oil (I used GTX on my Maxima that ran up to 250k miles before I sold it). You might want to consider changing brands on your old-tech flat tappet 318, though. Only a few oils remain that still have the heavy additives that we need (Shell Rotella 30w & 40w, Valvoline Racing VR1).
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 1:27pm
Thanks Tim,

You and the Boat Dr. are persuasive; I'll be looking for Rotella for the old girl.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 2:15pm
Chuck, good to talk to you again.As for the oil Tim and I have a lot of money and time tied up in our motors.With this said and the horror stories that are floating around ,wiped out cams etc., we did a little research to find an answer to this malady.
With a few calls and quite a few questions this is "How The Cow Ate The Cabbage".The pecking order puts us at the very bottom, few choices,but run the ZDDP or risk a tear down.You do the math.........
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Chuck, good to talk to you again.As for the oil Tim and I have a lot of money and time tied up in our motors.With this said and the horror stories that are floating around ,wiped out cams etc., we did a little research to find an answer to this malady.
With a few calls and quite a few questions this is "How The Cow Ate The Cabbage".The pecking order puts us at the very bottom, few choices,but run the ZDDP or risk a tear down.You do the math.........

Boat Dr.

Please read my post. FYI airplane engines run a flat tappets. I am not going to claim to know anything about normal (car) engines. But...seriously...call the guy that designed the camguard, he will talk with you.

Tim

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 10:26am
I have been reading up on this ZDDP issue (thanks to you guys for alerting me to this) & here are my personal conclusions:

1) Straight weight oil is a bad solution due to high startup wear: http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/index.html

2) Racing oil is also not a good solution due to wrong detergent package.

Therefore, I am just going to get aftermarket ZDDP additive & use that with a synthetic blend multi-weight automotive oil. Here is the one that looks good: http://www.zddplus.com
It's expensive, but so are cams.

Just for grins & giggles, I will be getting an oil analysis at my next 30 hour oil change. That should provide some hard data, hopefully supporting my decision.

As a footnote, I see in the 'Motor Oil 101' series that cold-stored oil degrades - I will be changing oil again in the spring!

Chris

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 10:57am
I have perused all this, but not read it in depth, as it is like reading a text book and my attention span wonders off...but as I understand it, Rotella 30w is a dino oil with all the old additives and is probably the best stuff to run in my old 100 hp Interceptor? The manual calls for 30w.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 11:10am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

1) Straight weight oil is a bad solution due to high startup wear: http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/index.html

On one hand, I'd say this guy spends more time discussing what he is going to say than actually saying it. On the other, this is interesting info and is sure to stir the pudding around here!
Who's switching to 0W-30?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 12:08pm
I agree it was long winded, but I do like learning about what best for my toys. Other information I have read agrees with the startup/viscosity point.

I'm sticking with 10-30 myself. The wider range of the polymer, the shorter life it has.

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

2) Racing oil is also not a good solution due to wrong detergent package.

Thats a blanket statement that does not apply to all racing oil. I have spoken to the techs at Valvoline, and their conventional racing oil (blue bottle) falls into this category- it has minimal detergents and has a recommended OCI somewhere on the order of ~500 miles. The VR-1, on the other hand, has a detergents package similar to that of their street oils. It has a recommended OCI of >3000 miles.

You have to remember that just about any oil that still has the ZDDP is going to be classified as Off-Road or Racing oil since it does not meet the most recent (or any) API standards. They are NOT all created equal.

I happen to agree with you on the advantages of the multivis blends in regards to cold start protection- last summer I ran VR1 in 20w50, and am trying out a mix of 10w30 and 20w50 for next season.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 1:15pm
Tim, you're mixing your own blends? How do you judge if their any good?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Tim, you're mixing your own blends? How do you judge if their any good?

Im not mixing my own blends- I just put in 2 qts of 10w30 and 3 qts 20w50 this past oil change. Both are VR1. It appears to be a common practive over on BITOG. I figured it might get my oil pressure down a little, as Im seeing 50-70psi with the 20w50.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 3:31pm
I am going to do my thing & have the oil tested at 30 hours.

Is anybody willing to do the same for VR1 & Rotella 30W? We could get comparative data - mythbuster style.

Ben Franklin
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 3:47pm
SNobsessed, sounds as if you were going to "do your own thing" regardless of the info gained or lost here.
Your motor , your money, I say go for it...As for as the extra wear with a single vis. oil I think it is a MOOT POINT.
My stroker gets oil pressure instantly,I am far more concerned about cam and tappett wear than wear and tear on the bottom end.
As you will note this is why we are running the Rotella,CAM PROBLEMS.You are probably smarter than the people at Shell anyway.Once you get that formula correct and it will live for 50 plus hrs. with no cam issues post back.
Then I will be willing to listen to your theories, but for now its Rotalla 40 T for me..........
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 4:02pm
boat dr

The only 40w oil I have been able to find and use is PENNZOIL HD-40 with Z-7. Anyone know what Z-7 is? Will this oil cause excessive wear? The bad news is I only was able to put 10 hrs on the boat last year. About the time I was able to boat the water tables were to low or there was algae.

Lets hope for better luck in 08!!!
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 5:23pm
I run straight 40 valvoline, although I have been leaning towards the VR-1 20w-50. Midwest CC recommends the straight 40. They also said they don't recommend using the 10w-30 until late fall. I have run the straight 40 late into the fall with out problems. I allow the engine to run for a couple minutes at the launch before taking it off the trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 8:08pm
Billy, will post oil test results in July or picture of new engine, whichever comes 1st.

Chris

Ben Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 8:31pm
for what it worth..there are many many many people including myself you run rotella t 15-40 synthetic our motorcyles..there are very high revving 14,000 rpms engines similar to the boat motors revs..heres some info i have read:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
www.bobistheoilguy.com
www.themotoroilsite.com

at 16/a gallon i also run it in my truck..still change the oil every 3000 miles, no problems here..gonna start running in in my boat this year over the pennzoil 15-40...
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 11:09pm
Looks like we all have different opinions on this topic. Time will tell all. With that being said, I agree sticking with an oil with the ZDDP additives is the way to go.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 11:23pm
if they run it in 80,000 + engines that its good in my little engine ..like which is better nike or reebok...ford or chevy..auto vs. stick
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 4:43pm
After reading this, I'm officially concerned. I used Pennzoil Marine 15W40 in my old boat (351 HO) without so much as a hiccup, but I want to do right by my new ride.

So I changed the oil at winterization using Rotella T 15W40. At this point, expecting to put 35 hours or so on it next season, do I

1. Not worry about it and use something with ZDDP next oil change;
2. Buy a bottle of the additive listed above and use it; or
3. Redo the oil change in the spring (this would be my least favorite option, but I'll probably defer to the collective wisdom of this forum in the interest of keeping my new to me boat purring like a kitten).

Thanks in advance.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 6:05pm
i would runthe rotella t and not do anything else..why use an additive package?..oil is oil for the most part..its a lubricant..i hoghly highly doubt if you used mobil one pennzoil amsoil or whatever its gonna make a big difference..oil companies put out several different oils and so called statements so the consumers buy into them..the rotell t is one of the best oils out there..why switch??your paying 16/ a gallon for synthetic..run the piss out of it and change it every 50 hours...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 6:12pm
ETS, ignore Ryan- it seems he has missed the whole point of this thread.

Id probably drain the 15w40 Rotella and use it in something else- but thats just me. Its not a bad oil, just doesnt have the additives our Fords need. Im sure many folks (like Ryan) are ignorant to the fact that oils have changed in recent years, so you wouldnt be alone in running an oil without the zinc. You have all the info you need to make the decision- its your call
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic