NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flippin’ a 64 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flippin’ a 64 Nautique
    Posted: January-14-2008 at 1:52am
We're just starting the restoration of a 1964 SN. The stringers and all framework in this boat are near excellent (pre-foam era) but like Boat Dr's American Skier was, she's full of gelcoat cracks. We're going the Petite Easypoxy route and so we decided the easiest way to get her bottom was to flip her over. (There's your next signature line, HW) I searched the forums thinking I'd seen some details on this before but couldn't find a thread, so we proceeded as we'd planned and rolled the boat using a engine cherry picker for the bow and a come-along and choker for the aft end. We had already moved the boat off its trailer and had her sitting on the dolly we used for the camper and trip to GL. We then lifted from one gunnel with the choker cinched there and she came right up on the other gunnel over several large tires. We then gently let her roll on over deck-down on several more tires and then lifted her back up straight (upside down) and onto the dolly again, resting on several carpeted 4x's sitting perpendicular across the dolly bunks. The whole thing took an hour maybe. Now we can get to the entire hull without destroying someone's back, shoulders and neck. Plans "right now" are for the entire boat to be painted Correct Craft dark red similar to Skicat's (Greg) skier or The Lake's (Chuck) SN, and hopefully in time for GL-08. This boat came with an Interceptor 289.
The boat is lifted and dolly pulled out.   

The boat swiveled great off the bow eye which is fortunately somewhat high on this boat:

That's Nautique John stabilizing while I watched and lowered the bow with the cherry picker:

Firmly sitting upside down:

And Boaty testing the hull's integrity:
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 2:10am
Nice job Reid,looks easy with a high ceiling and someone else doing it!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 7:51am
Reid, Any method that works without damage to the boat or a person is the correct one. I think the thread you were looking for is Farmers but his pictures were lost when Keith switched to the new host. Farmer bilt Dannenburgs method with a gantry and straps to roll the hull. Very easy to use and worth the effort to build if you are planning on doing more than a couple boats. Next step for your building is a double bridge crane and 4 hoists and you'll have hulls flipped in 10 minutes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 11:25am
Reid,

I see a new reality show coming from this, "Flip this boat!"

Glad to see Boaty there supervising.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:34pm
Looks pretty smooth, I have had people recommend removing the exhaust and running a strap through the two holes to give you a pivot point in back similar to the tow hook in front that way it could be done without overhead beam work... Have only used the bunch of guys and a row of tires method myself..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:10pm
Pretty cool Reid. Nice shop!
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 12:06am
Nice job Reid . Where did this boat come from ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 4:12pm
Reid, this one was too good to cut all the way down to signature size. I think quinner sent a video of something like this around in an email last year.

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

The easiest way to get her bottom was to flip her over. I searched the forums thinking I'd seen some details on this before but couldn't find a thread, so we proceeded as we'd planned using cherry picker and a come-along and choker. We had already had her sitting on the dolly we used for the camper and trip to GL. We then lifted with the choker and she came right on several large tires. We then gently let her roll on over several more tires and then lifted her back up straight (upside down) and onto the dolly again, resting on several carpeted 4x's sitting perpendicular across the dolly bunks. The whole thing took an hour maybe destroying skicat's (Greg) back, shoulders and neck while I watched.

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 7:10pm
How did I get mixed up in Reid's twisted world?
Greg

86 BFN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 9:25pm
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Something about context that makes the difference . . .

WLKONH2O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLKONH2O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 3:59am
Reid - So the real questions is how do we turn it back over once it is finished? Reversing this with a beautiful finish is going to take some more TLC...

Santo
WLKONH2O <><
96 Ski Nautique
Race City Marine
Inboard Parts & Repair
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 11:06pm
Santo, the plan for that is; you, me, Nautique John, Jerry, Josh (Sabre02), and about 3 others, and we'll lift it and spin it by hand. That's the best I can come up with for now. I guess I should have thought about that before we turned it over to begin with, but you know that's not my style.

Unrelated, just noticed on your profile that your occupation is listed as "engine tester". Shouldn't that be "engine blower upper", oh skiff meister extraordinaire?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2008 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Unrelated, just noticed on your profile that your occupation is listed as "engine tester". Shouldn't that be "engine blower upper", oh skiff meister extraordinaire?

Reid, I think you've got this engine testing wrong! He may test engines but the ones that blow up have been pre driven. I wonder who pre drove the skiff???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:45am
Reid i think you need a custom built rotisserie, and i dont mean one to cook those pork butts
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 1:46pm
Eric, I would like to have one indeed. Do you know a source and how much $$, as we don't do this that often but hope to do more down the road. TimB or someone mentioned something about creating a bracket going thru the exh ports and spinning the transom off that. I like our current means of supporting and rolling at the bow without damaging a new finish but with just a little more protective cushioning.

And I still wish you'd reconsider your tolerance for itchy fiberglass in exchange for that Tique. Or maybe I should just grow a set and tackle it ourselves.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 2:47pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 4:50pm
Pete how do you come up with all this info day after day?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 5:49pm
John, I don't know how he does it in the summer but right now it's 6 out with a wind chill of -8 so I'll bet he's not far from the pc!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 6:39pm
Reid, run that deal by me again..
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 12:12am
Eric, I've got this neat (to me) old '67 original orange gelcoat SN with really rotten stringers (see diaries). The foam was removed by a former owner and we've removed the outer 1x stringers. This was the boat which you and I originally discussed doing a retro job on and installing the Mopar v-drive, but after talking with the Walter people (which you warned me about) I determined that the engine/drive pkg was a no-go, so I'm back to conventional thinking. The boat to trade is a 78 Tique with a nice hull but vacant interior. It's currently got a 302 but I was willing to swap in a complete 305 MerCruiser (yes, GM which I think was a prequisite),which came from another Paul Carpenter Tique we scuttled. And the original CC trailer. And I'll do the delivery with my Medina-native friends from down here. Any chance you'll reconsider?      
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 10:16am
youve got me thinking, how much work is involved on the 67?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:52pm
Gary: At least you posted them awful conditions on Sunday so I know you weren't out in them.

john

PS to Reid: Who are you "Medina-native" friends? I grew up close to Medina. Brunstucky..home of the famous eric..was in between us (Strongsville) and there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic