NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re-painting the 1981 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bk_broiler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-painting the 1981 Nautique
    Posted: January-16-2008 at 4:45pm
Hi again friends,

The restore is coming along nicely. Now I am wondering how others went about re-painting. I have been to the reference section here and found the links for the lettering and the stern design, but there is nothing present to help wtih the side striping. Did everyone else just tape it off? I'm also doing wetsanding, so the original paint will be lost.

Did others just do a tracing to figure all that out, or make measurements to work from?

Finally, with the patterns from the site, where would i take them to create a stencil from them?

Thanks!!

Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 7:07pm
Brian, The best way to handle the strips is to trace them now before you wet sand. Yes, they can be taped. (3M fine line tape)The lettering stencil can be made by a sign shop. The most popular system is a Gerbermask.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bk_broiler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 8:07pm
What sort of method would you recommend for tracing? Tracing paper (transparent) or somehow doing a rubbing with some other kind of paper and a crayon or charcoal?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 8:22pm
Tracing paper and pencil. After wet sanding, you can then tape it up on to the hull to use as sort of a template for the fine line tape. You also may be able to see the shadow of the strips and lettering. The tracing is just in case! If you take the tracing of the letters to a sign shop, they will scan it into the computer and clean up any rough edges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2008 at 8:40pm
Frisket works great for the details.
Tim D
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 11:29am
Brian, I assume you ran across this thread, if not you may want ot take a look.

ski lime
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 7:54pm
Does anyone have an idea of what it should cost to get the about repaited. Just the lettering and a black stripe? Also, is gel coat the only way to go? What about an epoxy? I have been told the Epoxy is cheaper and lasts longer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 8:51pm
Jay, A epoxy will not hold the gloss like a linear polyurethane. I don't recommend it. Did a professional tell you about the epoxy? Are you sure he isn't talking about a 2 part poly? If you must paint then the poly is the way to go. Last longer than gel? Absolutely not. It is still paint. Cheaper, yes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 1:07am
Brainard,

Thanks, I was thinking it didn't sound right. problem is ,like in life no one cares like they should.Thanks for the insight. Does anyone know what a good price is to pay for such a job??

I just realy want to respect the boat that I have if you know what I mean.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 11:38am
Jay, I need to take a step backwards here! I somehow missed that you were only asking about the graphics and I'm rambling on about the whole boat!! I don't see the year of your boat but if it was paint from the factory then they used Rust-Oleum. It's still a tough option, but you can use the poly's as well. The nice thing about the Rust-Oleum is they still have the same colors. Stay away from the epoxy's as that group of paint was developed for chemical resistance and not decorative qualities. Cost's can be all over depending on things like what part of the country you are in and if you have a Gerber mask made or he has to mask by hand. I'll say on average you are looking at about $1500

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2008 at 5:34pm
Brainard- you the man, thanks a bunch. I have a 81 by the way and I love it. had to rebuild the engine due to operator error two years ago. But when I had the boat bottom job done I took the original paint off which after finding this site foudn otu that I could have just wet sanded it and the shine would have come back. Also, learned I could have bought new original skins on here as well. Now I am doigin a damn thing until I ask on here first. Lesson learned ,vry exspensive lesson but I guess that is how it goes. Thanks again.
tiqueman97 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 3:56pm
I re-painted an 82 MODEL that I had. I used Omni AU paint from a local auto paint store. They supplied me with 2 primers, one to first adhere correctly to the gelcaot and the next for the paint to adhere correctly. It cost just under 300 for all the materials and I had a local sign shop do the decals for $80. Some misc. expense on tape etc. Whole thing was under 500 dollars to do and if I had to do it again tomorrow Id go the same way. I sold the boat about 3 years after I painted it and it still looked as good as it did the day I did it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:14pm
Found a before and after pic I had on another site.

Sorry the lighting on the after pic isnt the best, but its all I can do from my work computer.....

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:43pm
That ain't no '81. What font did the sign shop use on the decals? They look pretty close.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:58pm
It is an 81!!! and they scanned a 12" decal I had and blew it up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by tiqueman97 tiqueman97 wrote:

It is an 81!!!

Definitely isnt a '81. Looks like a '82.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:11pm
thats even what Joe at SECC said. But the hull number ended in 81...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:19pm
well you can think what you want but the front tells us it's not and if you measure the beam I bet it matches the specs for the 83-89 2001 hull.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:23pm
Perhaps a one of a kind? Maybe I should have kept it or sold it for more than I did.....

Seriously though, before I purchased it a corrected the guy on the phone about the add in Boattrader that it was 82 or newer. He assured me it was an 81 and sent me a pic of the hull number. So I stood corrected. I guess 73 or 74??? to 81 doesnt quite do it prior the 2001 hull. 81-1/2 maybe? to 87???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:25pm
Hull numbers dont lie.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:26pm
I wouldn't read in to much about the HIN and it's relationship back to the model yr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:28pm
At some point, the Hull ID convention changed. On modern boats, the last 2 digits are the model year. What you were probably looking at was the year of manufacture. Its common for a boat to be built in the previous calendar year (my '90 was built in 10/89), as production starts in July, I believe. I guarantee that your boat was a 1982 model year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:32pm
here's two items that scream 2001 hull, notice the relief cut in the side of the hull at the rear above the chime, also the bow treatment and then get your tape measure out and compare them to the 2001 hull and they will match exactly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:32pm
thats fine and I agree. However the engraved number on the top right of the transom ended in 81. There fore, according to everyting Ive been taught, the boat, as I know because I owned it, was registered as an 81. That all Im saying. If you want to say that the number on the back doesnt verify the year, well then Ive got an 08 Super sport i will sell you however its stamped 97 on the back...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:36pm
79nautique, or anyone on this forum, Ive not once stated that the hull I had looked like a pre 82 boat. Im just stating what it was registered as. That is all. Im not retarded, I know it is the same hull and deck as the 82 to 87 and obviously that means it will measure out the same. But my FL registration said 81, so I always considered her an 81. Why dont we all not worry about it, say "hey nicely done" and move on witht he topic on hand here?????
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by tiqueman97 tiqueman97 wrote:

However the engraved number on the top right of the transom ended in 81. There fore, according to everyting Ive been taught, the boat, as I know because I owned it, was registered as an 81. That all Im saying. If you want to say that the number on the back doesnt verify the year, well then Ive got an 08 Super sport i will sell you however its stamped 97 on the back...

You were taught right... sort of. Read my post above. The Hull ID number convention was changed in 1984 according to this article.

The 81 youre referring to would have been the certification date of the 2001 hull. The hull ran from 1982-1989, so it would have been certified in '81. Its likely that all 82-83 2001's have HIN's ending in "81". Your registration was simply wrong (which is not uncommon).

Youre correct in that from 1984 on, the last 2 digits indicate the model year.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:50pm
I got ya. Interesting. Well I will always consider it that I owned the first 2001 series hull that was registered as an 81.. LOL So I had a "Unique Tique" I guess. Registered and tracked as an 81. Cool.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:59pm
well and now lets not forget that just because it was manufactured in 81 doesn't mean that is was sold as a 81 or in 81 for that matter.

Think about this compare it to cars my truck was built in sept of 2003 but it's a 2004 so does that mean it should be registered as a 2003 no and if I would have bought it in 2005 does it mean that it should be regestered as a 2005 no.

And it's common knowledge if you want to start selling a new model for the next year you have to build them before that years starts right? otherwise you have none or very little stock to sell.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:16pm
First off Im 32 years old... far from a kid. And secondly, I didnt make the registration papers on the boat, I wasnt in the cc facility when they sent the papers out with that boat and I did not work for the Fl goverment when they decided to register the boat and do it as an 81. I cannot change that. Maybe your old and wise and have the god gift to do so, but I dont..   Its a model 82, registered as an 81. Does that make you happy.

All I was stating was it was registered as an 81 by the state of FL. So jump on them   Im done withthis bs site if thats how you "ccfans are. F OFF!!!!....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:24pm
ok everyone scroll up and check out my first comment on this post. Does that make everyone happier now???????????? Jesus jumped up rice you guys kill me....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic