NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Additional Bilge blower??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Additional Bilge blower??
    Posted: February-11-2008 at 3:37pm
My boat stinks..
Yep, even with the aft blower running, the 76' fumes up the boat while idling.. I was thinking of adding an inline blower under the dog house to the existing hose and blower. Is it a problem to wire them together?? Any blower better than another??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 4:20pm
I would be a little concerned about why it fumes up. Are you talking about an actual gas smell/fumes or exhaust making its way back in the boat? If its gas finding the source would be key, if its exhaust you can actually pull more exhaust into the boat with an additional blower and again it may be more of a problem running rich than a problem pulling in fumes. Adding a second blower system in parrallel is not in itself a problem as long as you fuse them both appropriately you shouldnt have a problem running them both off the same switch/wire. Running two blowers on the same vent hose in series would probably not be all that effective.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 4:27pm
Dave, I agree with Joe. It would be better to find the cause of the problem rather than put a bandaid over the symptoms.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 4:37pm
It's exhaust, not gas. Maybe it's just me.. Everything is tight and buttoned up. The engine doesn't smoke or spit.. I just think it smells to much... What would you guys recommend??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 4:45pm
Idleing in gear or just idleing?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 4:54pm
You could also try a bigger blower. I think they are rated kinda like the bilge pumps; the larger the number the more volume of air it will remove per minute.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 5:04pm
check all your air intakes that they are attached and not kinked, if i work on 10 boats....5 vents are'nt connectected. so you may have a venting problem also, a matter of fact i just did one and it has a wasp nest blocking it completely (this boat sat for a year though) just a possibility to check before you spend time and money on what you want you to do
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

It's exhaust, not gas.

Not sure what would be causing that- though Im pretty sure an extra blower wouldnt help remove fumes from the cockpit that didnt originate from the engine/bilge.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 5:34pm
Dave, Check up under the bow and make sure the three vent hoses from the scoop are in good shape without any holes and are still connected at the top. This will insure proper venting to the doghouse. If they need replaced I got some 3" drier vent hose and some plastic connectors at Wal-mart to fix mine a couple of years ago. Usually the bottom section of the hose is still good as it's glassed in some what but the top section just rots away and falls apart. The plastic connectors would spin on and they catch the wire section of the hose. I used some duct tape to help it out some but I believe I got the stuff back in the RV section of sporting goods at wally world.

Also if you add another blower don't run them on the same vent line as you won't be getting any fumes from around the tank area that way. On mine there where two hoses going into the collector and only one hose went to the blower and the other one was just out in space doing nothing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 7:00pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 7:29pm
Pete, your getting pretty crafty with the pictures too...
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2008 at 7:44pm
Well, I know I have strong pull from the aft blower as it feels like a good volume of air coming out of the one side.. Of course the other side vent is open for rear, gas tank venting..

Chris, you may have the culprit in site.. I may not be getting enough air pushing through from the bow ports.. If any at all..

Joe, well I can just say that more fumes tend to linger, the slower you go. I always have to leave the front vent windows open to feel comfortable enough smell wise..

I'll recheck some forward fittings as soon as my ass cheeks won't stick to the cold seats..
This -30 below stuff is for the birds...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 12:25am
Dave double check the hose on the blower inlet side that goes behind the tank and stops just below it. As the blower is close to the vent and even if that hose is junk you'll still get a lot of volume out of it but your not really pulling any fumes out from the vented area's. Also it's not a bad idea to add the newer compact inline blowers up by the motor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic