Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

82 2001 interior project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 2001 interior project.
    Posted: February-14-2008 at 1:05pm
I bought my 2001 last fall. The carpet needed replaced and I wanted to do some stuff with the dash. I am finally done with the demo work(still have some stinking glue to get off the floor). I have finally went to acetone and a stiff wire brush. the dash is hurculiner. 25 bucks at parts store. i ordered 20oz carpet that came in last night. I will update pics as i go so check back. if you have any tips please let me know!!

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 1:53pm
why did you use hurculiner on the dash all you had to do is wet sand it and the shine will come right back good as new.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 1:58pm
Are you doing any vinyl work? Where are you located?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 2:00pm
Where are you located?
My Columbo like skills tells me your not from Florida.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 2:20pm
i used the bed liner because i liked the texture the old dash had scratched and what not...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 2:21pm
i am actually getting new seats...and i am located in akron ohio...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by 82wake2001 82wake2001 wrote:

I might be interested in your old seats. What exactly are you replacing (vinyl, wood bases, foam, frames, everything)?

Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 3:01pm

i used the bed liner because i liked the texture the old dash had scratched and what not...

that's fine I hope you plan on keep it for a long time as most don't like the dull finish or the non-orginal look either so you will take a hit on resale because of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 3:24pm
79 thanks for the information but thats what I like. I am not being rude, but come on...once again its what i like.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 4:04pm
I understand just FYI because of your choice you have eliminated 80% of the buyers that would be interested in the boat to start with. And I'm betting your fairly young too.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 1:47am
Nice ! Click on my 82. It was herculined on the dash , hull stripe & trailer. I don't ever plan to sell & the red hull stripe in herculiner has never faded or scratched yet & I used my boat all year lots .The herculiner if apllied right is tougher that any paint on any car or boat. If it does scratch somehow you can order more & touch it up. I am in hot Texas & this stuff works against sun.I have bumped the hull & the stripe doesn't budge. You will be happy with it as long as you sanded & cleaned before painting.I don't work at hurculiner , but I painted the inside of my Wrangler & 89 Chevy 1500. The truck would always stink like mildew on long wakeboarding camping trips with wet carpet . The Herculined interior fixed this. Also my truck doesn't rattle when I play the 2000 watt stereo system . I removed all the plastic inside the truck & herculined all the sanded metal. Sorry so long ,Dan
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 10:30am
82, are you getting new seats or having yours re-covered?
"the things you own will start to own you"
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:19pm
Hey 79 are you saying all I need to do is use a wet sander and the finish will come back? Do I need to coat it with anything?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:29pm
the dash should be gel-koted from the factory. So what you need to do is remove the windsheild and then either buff it with rubbing compund and use a electric orbital buffer/polish and then follow that up by polishing. See Tim Benjiman's past post give specific's on what to use. Or if it is realy bad or you don't have the power buffer, Then use 800-1500 grit wet-dry sand paper and wet sand it by hand. Start out using the 800 then work up to the 1500 in steps, 800, 1000, 1200 then 1500.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I understand just FYI because of your choice you have eliminated 80% of the buyers that would be interested in the boat to start with. And I'm betting your fairly young too.

When I first came to the site I was cautioned by the wise ones to "keep it origional". But, I chose to do it my way because it was pleasing to me. Thought I did a pretty good job. Sure spent enough money and time. In the end, because I varied from origional, it actually made my boat less attractive to most buyers.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 3:57pm
Bill, care to share some examples of what you'd do differently next time?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 4:25pm
I changed the gelcote pattern from the traditional "2001" where it flares upward at the stern. I would leave it the same. I would try to match the origional lettering as well. I changed the bench seat. Stupid! Was trying for the bench seat that the seat base and back rest lift out of the way like the newer models. Should have left it alone.
I changed the glove box. Even more stupid. The finished product was not that much larger than the origional. The dash is another issue. I would still update the aging guages but with something that looks more like the origional.

Basically, I would fix everything, do the gelcote, and other repairs, but I would keep it as close to origional in appearance as possible.

Never really understood the impact of changes until I started looking for my next boat. In the end I was happy to find something that (aside from Perfect Pass) had been left alone but well maintained.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 5:50pm
I purchased my 2001 due to the fact it is the best hull hands down for wakeboarding. I love the newer design, but love my 2001 hull. I will be updating the interior once the carpet is done. I understand the "original look", but i want to enjoy my boat in my own taste. I really never plan to sell it but pass it down. Every thing u gentlemen have said is very true and i appreciate all of it...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I might be interested in your old seats. What exactly are you replacing (vinyl, wood bases, foam, frames, everything)?

Shoot me an email: TRBenj@gmail.com
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 12:34am
79, you the man thank you so much!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 8:08am
Thanks Bill, I like the way you don't pull your punches, and I'm glad I don't have to run up on you wearing the 'other' uniform; but I am glad to have you here! So far I've only changed the engine and transmission color and a few parts on the engine. The rest is on its way, and I hope to do as well as you did.

Side note-Know that a man of service always has a hot and cot here!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 11:06am

I purchased my 2001 due to the fact it is the best hull hands down for wakeboarding.

please it's not going to touch a new boat by miles... so face it and tell the truth.. it's that your pockets are a little shallow to pull out that 72-91K for the top of the line Nautique wakeboard boat. Space, wake, ballast tanks, tower that looks good on the boat.... please quite lying to yourself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 11:32am
....Thanks for your reply 79 ....
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 1:22pm

I think if you would have put "that I can afford" at then end of that statement you would not be getting any grief. I just upgraded to a Super Sport from a 83 2001. There is a reason I upgraded. The 2001 is a great boat, and I would own one again, but there are better wakeboard boats out there. It all depends on how big your pocket book is.......

Brad
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 3:26pm
please it's not going to touch a new boat by miles... so face it and tell the truth.. it's that your pockets are a little shallow to pull out that 72-91K for the top of the line Nautique wakeboard boat. Space, wake, ballast tanks, tower that looks good on the boat.... please quite lying to yourself.

Thats why I kept beating the bushes until I found this boat for $3K sitting on the side of the road like an abandoned puppy.
A couple of people said to run away from it on the board here, But I love a challenge. And So far All I did was 500 bucks worth of Repair on the front keel Cause the boat had been Beached on a Bolder or something. Thats why no one had bought it and I was able to talk the guy down to a rediculouse low price, ( I think )....     As you can see the boat was repainted a Camelion? color, Changes from Black to brown to purple to if your looking from the ground up its metal flake Green.   I ordered the " Nautique " stickers for the side.   So Yea this boat was passed up like an abandoned puppy, but its just what I was looking for, and just right for my empty pocket budget.

pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 3:41pm
nice find put the hull paint kinda clash's with the interior colors.
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:36pm
Not if your color blind     I know it looks like it stands out in the picture, But Its not that hideous up close. The paint changes colors in the sun, So most of the time it looks like it has a Gray / greenish tint to it that kinda blends with the big gray stripe in the interior.   If they had done the solid color all the way down and left the red stripe " White" it actually would look even better.
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:42pm
haha ya nice find....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 5:13pm

haha ya nice find....

well now let's guess your age,,, three years short of being a mature adult.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:07pm
wow 79 did I do something to offend you in anyway. If I did I do apologize, but there is no reason for you to be nasty....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic