Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 GT-40 Coil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 GT-40 Coil
    Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:26am
I have a 1998 Nautique GT-40 EFI, is there any way to tell if the coil is no good. I'm have some troubles with the boat cutting out for a slpit second once in a while.
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:30pm
I dont think there is a way to know for sure without replacing it. Does it happen under increased load or while cruising? Also have you changed the plugs/ plug wires lately?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:46pm
Could be just as likely that it's a fuel delivery issue.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:42pm
It does it while cruising and underload only for a split second then resumes. What can I check on the fuel delivery. I have changed plugs and wires and also the LPP. Anything else I can check. It is getting very frustrating.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:58pm
IF it only happens after your boat gets warmed up and you have been cruising for a while, it is most likely your coil. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the coil.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:02pm
well I believe you need to check the resistance for each injector to see if they are bad and then the pressure in the fuel rail. There should be a tap to connect the gauge to make sure the pressure is correct.

also you might try getting a spray bottle of water that will create a mist and not a stream, and with the engine going mist the coil pack if it miss' then it's the coil pack breaking down and arcing the windings, as it usually will create a hair line crack in the outside case or potting material and the water magnify's the short,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:34pm
Can I check the injectors myself or do I have to take it to my Nautique Dealer. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is good while idleing. Maybe I will order a new coil and change it. Is this something I can do myself? Does it have to be a marine coil?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 4:16pm
you should use a marine coil, the injectors you can do yourself if you have the tools and know how to read an ohm meter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 4:21pm
Do you think it could be a bad injector? It cuts out for a 1/2 a second a resumes normal. It does it sometimes once in a while or not for a few days. It will almost do it every time when running wide open.
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 12:07pm
Just an FYI: I just had a coil pack go bad in my truck. I had put expensive, upgraded coil packs in several months before so I thought it was anything but the coil. I had several full time mechanics drive the truck and they thought it was fuel delivery or transmission. The truck would hesitate (now I know it was from the motor cutting out) when I would give it gas in the higher gears. Some days it was real bad and some days it did not do it all (I think it is weather related???) After checking all the fuel stuff, I finally decided to put the original coils back in for the heck of it. Its ran perfect ever since!

Now, I know this is not the exact same circumstance and all, but it does sound kind of like a similar problem. Anyways, Good luck!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by 1998Nautique 1998Nautique wrote:

It will almost do it every time when running wide open.

I'm no mechanic but that sounds like a fuel delivery problem, doesn't it?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 1:36pm
M3Fan, any ideas of what I should try. I have done all the regular tune up and changed the LPP. Any ideas wouldl be greatly appreciated. It is a month and i'll have her in the water. Thank You for your help. The boat also does it once in a while while starting when I punch it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 1:37pm
A bad injector can cause that type of problem.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 2:36pm
See 95 engine stops/dies post previous. I had similar problem that turned out to be a bad "emergency kill switch" with the lanyard attached jobbey. Checked out faulty and replaced ($30. part) Easy install. Now runs great, no more problem. I have been told of bad coils, but my experience (cars) has been they work, or they do not work. They can get hot or arc or have a loose wire. Good Luck.
Js
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 3:06pm
This is a longshot but have you checked the fused additional positive lead on the battery? This is the smaller of the two positive leads on the battery. I've heard that it can be problematic and cause hiccups like this. I have no firsthand experience with it but it was wired out of my boat as a fix from PCM. Maybe when you nail it out of the hole, the battery shifts and affects this fuse. Who knows- just throwing out other cheap/free things to check.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 6:22pm
My brother-in-law has a '92 SN with a Protec ignition and he was having weird issues like this and found a loose wire under the dash. He still has no idea what it was for or where it was under the dash but he tightened it down and hasn't had an issue since he found it. Granted it isn't a GT40, but the issues he had were pretty much identicle to yours.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:29pm
Mine is not hooked up. The dealer said it is hooked direct to the battery. Not sure what he meant by that. He told me that when they rebuilt the motor they didn't need it anymore. Maybe i'll change the coil and check all the wires on the boat to make sure there tight. Any other ideas.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:32pm
Jerry,

As 79 said coils can still work, when they are going bad. I have seen plenty of cars run with bad coils, just with the certain weather conditions they run worse. Moisture makes a big difference when it comes to a cracked coil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 7:23pm
Is the coil hard to change or can anyone do it?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 7:56pm
Seems pretty straightforward to me. I'd assume nearly anyone could do it.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 8:24pm
Thank x for your help guys. I'll try the coil and check all my wires.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:49am

Thank x for your help guys. I'll try the coil and check all my wires.

if you have the protect system then I believe you have to change the whole unit as it's not servicable from what I remember. Now if it's dist and coil unit and a non-DIS set-up then it is easy to change just unbolt and unplug/unwire it and install the new one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:00pm

I have a 1998 Nautique GT-40 EFI

There's no Protec on this engine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:14pm
Thank X Guys
94sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 9:45pm
I am having the same problem....I have a 94 Sport with the proboss protec efi. My questions does the protec engine have a coil and if so where is it located at?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic