Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can’t get my seats to look "white"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can’t get my seats to look "white"
    Posted: April-22-2008 at 12:38pm
I have a 92 CC Sport Nautique with only 200 hrs on it. The seats have to tears & are nice & soft yet. This boat has been kept under a covered lift all of its life. The only problem I have is that there are some mildew spots & the white part of the seats look "dingy" (spelling?). I have tried several cleaners & I just can't get them to look nice & white. I even tried a cleaner with bleach on a small spot underneath the seat to see what that would do, but it did not seem to help either. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott
------- They are only original once! ------
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 1:23pm
Scott, If you already tried a cleaner specifically designed for mildew, there's not much else you can try. It may be time for you to start thinking about new skins.

FYI, if you have small black spots, they are spider droppings! They are easy to remove by just some soaking with plain water. I've found them harder to get off with soap!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 1:36pm
Magic eraser
Tim D
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Magic eraser

These things work like serious magic. Only problem is the bleach etc. Ate the liven crap out of our Cobalt interior. Stopped using them ever since. It was hard too, they get out everything...

Now I use straight RTV..... Doh'..
Just kidding, couldn't resist Tim ..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 7:04pm
I've always had good luck with Simple Green, diluted about 50% and a good scrub brush. I put lots of 303 on the vinyl when I'm through. If that doesn't take it out, then I would think the dingy look is sun fading, regardless of how few hours on the motor. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 7:08pm
P.S. I am not positive, but I believe the seats are silver cloud, and not brilliant white. Silver cloud is a grayish white. It look very white in the sun, but it's not a pure white. BKH
Livin' the Dream

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

FYI, if you have small black spots, they are spider droppings! They are easy to remove by just some soaking with plain water. I've found them harder to get off with soap!

Those darn spiders have no respect for a clean CC!    LOL

I wouldn't have come right out and said water was the way to clean their output, but I've been using a wet rag for a long time.

We have mud dobblers here as well. They poison spiders for their larvae to eat later, but they leave the nests behind...made of Georgia red clay?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 7:56pm
Spider crap is some tough chit.
Tim D
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I've always had good luck with Simple Green, diluted about 50% and a good scrub brush. I put lots of 303 on the vinyl when I'm through. If that doesn't take it out, then I would think the dingy look is sun fading, regardless of how few hours on the motor. BKH

Hey Brian,

Where do you get your 303, I've tried Wal-Mart, Target, Autozone and Kragen, with no luck.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 10:23pm
If I'm in a hurry, I just buy it from the boat shop and probably pay twice what I should. When I have time, I've found it quite a bit less expensive online. If I recall, I did a Froogle search for 303 Protectant. I usually buy a gallon and pour into a spary bottle.

Still meaning to catch up with you Todd. Between the windy weather, and some travel, just haven't been around.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 10:59pm
You can get 303 at boaters world.
Tim D
RT1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2008 at 11:57pm
Scott,
My wife always used Bathroom tub and tile cleaner for mildew on our seats. They always came out really nice. I remember our Pontoon boat sat in storage 2 winters and one summer and the mildew was terrible. However, she did get them clean. Just a suggestion

RT
Party Smart!! Always have a bottle opener in you Boat.
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:42pm
Give Fantastic a try. It does a great job on the spider poop, too.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:54am
OK, since everyone is tossing out their favorite, I will too. I like soft scrub. A little bleach, a little cleanser, but still mild enough not to melt or scratch anything, For general overall "whiteness" I use a soft nylon brush and some water with the soft scrub and swish it all around. For those tough mildew/spider poop spots, put a glob on your finger, rub it in and let it set for a couple hours. Ive gotten some pretty sorry looking spotted up white vinyl to come back quite nicely. (Its also good for cleaning up fiberglass without scratching)

18 year old original upholstery in my old supra, maintained with soft scrub. (no the carpet isnt raggedy, it is wet with footprints on it)

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 1:35am
I got a tip from a lady that worked at a marina. Go to the dollar store and buy Mean Green degreaser. Don't get confused with Simple Green, which you won't find at the dollar store anyways. That stuff will remove the black stuff in contact. I was blown away. Then buy something like Babes soap and conditioner. The most important thing is that you put conditioner on them. Try Mean Green. Is about $2 a gallon. You will thank me later. I will take a before and after picture later. Well, I have the before.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 12:06pm
Here is my before and after. This was my first time I cleaned I only wanted to removed the heavy stuff first. I can't complaint about the result and I didn't scrub that much.

Before

After

TO be honest the picture hides some imperfections but overall I liked the results.
tugmik69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tugmik69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 10:13pm
use mr. clean magic eraser, it works great. better than any thing else i have ever used.
HLboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HLboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 6:00am
Try using Mean Green Super Strength. Its really effective and I used it to clean my Glastron and my 78 Ski Tique. It should be at any dollar stores, I got it at a local family dollar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic