NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Checking packing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MADTOWN78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADTOWN78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checking packing?
    Posted: May-15-2008 at 3:29pm
So, I have been reading some of the posts about shaft packing any I have a few questions.

How often does one need to replace the packing?

How often should I check the packing?

It sounds like it should drip a little but not a lot? Just enough for temp to stay cool to touch, but not gushing?

No idea when my packing has been replaced last, if ever. I felt it once last season and it was cool to touch, so no worries?

Lastly, it seems that I should be able to easily turn the prop/shaft by hand. How easy? Pinky finger? blow on it?

I had the alignment checked last fall and I will check it when it gets on the water this season (thanks to erics pictorial). Everything was straight last fall, but the shaft does not turn like butter. It currently takes a little force, not much, just a little. Is this normal, or a sign that I should repack?
livin', lovin', lovin' livin'
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 4:28pm
Hey Madtown. As far as the rudder packing I don't know that it's ever been replaced. There isn't the friction issue like on the shaft. The log packing will last quite some time with a minor tightening every now and then. When you notice that you are getting accessive water in the bilge, and are out of adjustment room, it's time to replace. Chances are that you will be removing the shaft for some reason or another before the packing actually wears. I'd just replace it then as a preventative measure. Assuming that your alignment is good, you should probably be able to turn your prob with minimal effort from your index. If not, try wetting your cutlass bearing, then try. I don't know the exact rule for tightness but a couple drips per minute is probably good.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 6:48pm
Hilton, If it is dripping more than about 4 times per minute, tighten up the packing nut. Not too much - try a 1/2 turn first. Yes, it shouldn't run hot. I repacked 15 years ago when I put a new bottom on my X55 and may have adjusted it twice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic