NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help ordering a new shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help ordering a new shaft
    Posted: May-15-2008 at 7:43pm
After finding that my shaft needs to be replaced I called General props to order a new one. The guys ask me if I knew the part number. I have no idea. Is just a metal rod to me. I need help ordering the shaft. How do I do that? I have an 87 SN.

Thanks,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:48pm
Anthony, Call them again. Sounds like you got the "new guy"! You have all the dimensions of the coupling and the shaft and a part number shouldn't be needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 8:53pm
I do have the dimensions?

I can measure it tonight and call them again tomorrow.

I guess all I need is the shaft length, width, and couple dimension right. I was wondering about that. How can I call a dealer ask for a part that I will buy from somebody else.

Maybe they are here and all I need is to search.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 2:10am
54"

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10439&PN=1

How much are you paying for the shaft and coupler?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 2:42pm
The guy at general ask me for the part number . I told him I don't have any idea. That was the end of the conversation. I will try it again.

Thanks for measurement, it makes sense but I wasn't sure. Is fairly basic I just don't know why he ask me that. Anyways, I am calling them again and I will let you know how much.

Length 54"
Width 1"
Coupler 4"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 3:08pm
I don't know why everybody is saying that is cheaper getting a single tapper. My math is not saying so.

Prices:
Shaft: $237.99
Facing: 38.00
Coupler: 71.65
Total: 347.64

All I ask was for 54" long 1" thick shaft for a nautique. I am somewhat in shock, obviously I'm getting a double tapper from skidim.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I don't know why everybody is saying that is cheaper getting a single tapper. My math is not saying so.

Prices:
Shaft: $237.99
Facing: 38.00
Coupler: 71.65
Total: 347.64

All I ask was for 54" long 1" thick shaft for a nautique. I am somewhat in shock, obviously I'm getting a double tapper from skidim.

Yup....thats about what I posted a week ago.
Tim

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 10:20pm
I placed my order for a ARE shaft from Skidim. $283 with CC discount. Also I got the gore-tex for the shaft & rudder. Thanks to everybody, let's how the installation goes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2008 at 11:13pm
Anthony, What alloy shaft did general quote? The A.R.E. from Skidim doesn't state what it is. It could be quite a difference especially if the A.R.E. is made from some low grade 400 series stainless.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 2:42am
I don't know what material he quoted me. He ask me for salt water or fresh water. Also, he ask me where was I calling from. I told him TX and is a fresh water only boat. Those ARE can't be that bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 10:57am
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Those ARE can't be that bad.

I didn't say they were bad but rather a less expensive material.

Sounds like you talked with the correct person at General this time!! He asked all the good questions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 11:00am
last shaft i bought was 160.00????? from general
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 1:45pm
Pete thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if made to correct choice. I agree, I got the new guy couple days ago. This the guy was telling that they do this all the time and they know.

Eric, I read other posting were you mentioned the ballpark price. When he told me the price it just blew my mind. Probably he thought I was a rookie and I didn't have any idea of the cost, who knows. Nowadays prices on everything is up the roof because of the gas and the dollar.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 10:52am
you got the shaft!!!! profit aint a dirty word,
i really need to chechk into making shafts
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you got the shaft!!!! profit aint a dirty word

That's true...

If you keep investing on your buisiness and keep helping people regardless you know where we are going to go. Obviously, price has to be reasonable. Is a really good idea to look into the shaft buisiness. It needs to make sense and make sure you have the clientèle to support the investment. Now that I am going threw this headache I found out that there are plenty of shops around that fixes props. But when it comes to transmission, shaft, and struts not a hole lot people work them. I sent my strut to Murphys in VA cause they at least have an idea how to fix it. Bottom line, it will be nice to have shop that can fix everything from the engine back that is willing to service small boats community.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic