Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat overheating

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kilowake66 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat overheating
    Posted: December-12-2004 at 8:09am
I have a 85 ski nautique 351/C. My boat started overheating one day. got to 200. we then ripped out the termistat and did not put a new one in. it still overheats. Then we bought a new water pump and impeller. I think I put it in ok and not upside down.I checked all hoses for air leaking all good. still overheating. any help
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2004 at 10:50am
Your transmission fluid cooler might be stopped up - preventing water from making it to your raw water pump. Take the raw water hoses off and shine a light through it to check. You will probably have to remove the cooler mounting bracket, but you should not have to remove the transmission fluid lines.

Also - if you have ever had an impeller loose a fin, then you might have a fin lodged in your cooling passages blocking flow to your engine.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2004 at 4:29pm
Is it running hot without a thermostat?
Tim D
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2004 at 5:40pm
Did it start to "overheat" while the boat was idling or while running at forward speed. It is somewhat normal for the engine to "heat soak". That is after running for a bit, then shutting down the engine and then cranking it back up, it will read high (ie 200) Once you start circulating water, it should come back down to normal op temps.

Otherwise, you can start trouble shooting useing the FAQ list at SKIDIM. See the link at the top of this page. Also check to see if the gauge is reading correct by measuring the water temp or block temp by alternate means.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic