NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pick up in gas tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Pick up in gas tank
    Posted: June-05-2008 at 3:57pm
I have a 1972 Skier with thermo electron 351W. How do you get to the fuel pick up in the gas tank. I see a 90 degree brass fitting on top of the tank. I presume if I remove that there will be a pick up tube with a filter. Is that correct? Do I have to pull the tank to get it out? I worried it may be clogged or damaged.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 7:29pm
I don't think you are going to have enough room between the top of the tank and the bottom of the rear deck. Try it first and then if it doesn't work you'll need to slide the tank out. What's going on? No fuel? How's the fuel pump?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 4:10pm
inconsistent fuel flow seems to be starving for fuel. I put a see through gas filter in to see fuel flow, no gauges. The filter fills then no flow, then flow again. It may be the fuel pump but I wanted to rule out other variables. I think having to pull the tank might change my mind. Not sure the tank could have all kinds of stuff in it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 4:23pm
check fuel pressure first then pull the tank. By pass the tank buy running a hose from a gas can to the fuel pump then test the fuel pressure. This isolates the pump which uaually is the cause for the simptoms you discribe. But if it all checks out when using the gas can then you know it's the tank pick-up or more likely a vent issue and not the pump.
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 5:17pm
What do you mean a vent issue? Where's the vents, in the carb, it has been rebuilt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 5:22pm
vent to the tank not on the carb
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 6:03pm
OK, the tank vent is clear. What I also noticed is fuel is not retained in the fuel line from pump to carb. There is usually a stop valve in fuel pump to hold gas from going back down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 6:13pm
sounds like it time for a new marine fuel pump
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by jborzak jborzak wrote:

What I also noticed is fuel is not retained in the fuel line from pump to carb. There is usually a stop valve in fuel pump to hold gas from going back down.

It does sound like a pump problem to me too. Some of the older pumps that are screwed together instead of riveted are re buildable. You get new check valves, diaphram, springs and gaskets. If your local Napa can't help, go for a new pump.

Hopefully you didn't use a see through filter like these:

Both are designed to go in the suction line from the tank to the pump and in fact the second one is only recommended for outboards. Also, hopefully you don't have a rubber fuel line with hose clamps on it between the pump and the carb. The line needs to be steel. Some states with safety inspections will reject a boat equipped with such because it doesn't meet Coast Guard regs. Several here on site have mentioned similar set-ups to some as being unsafe. They have claimed to have never had a problem - yet!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic