Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine Plywood

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Plywood
    Posted: June-17-2008 at 7:51pm
I have repaired the stringers in my 86 ski nautique. I plan to use handi foam and then use Marine Plywood. My question is how do I seal the marine plywood after I attach it to the repaired stringers. Thanks in advance.

-rob
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 8:09pm
I would use treated plywood. Marine plywood is too high of quality to use in a floor. I put 9 coats of polyurethane on the top and edges of mine and sealed all the joints with 30 year silicone.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 8:30pm
Sorry Tim but I have to firmly disagree on the treated. Several other have made comments on not using it as well. The chemicals screw up the epoxy bond (even worse with polyester resin)

Rob, Regular exterior ply is made with the same waterproof glues as marine ply is. The difference is, marine because it is commonly used for demanding structural applications has a very high standard for voids in the center plys. Go with exterior. Seal all sides with CPES after making all cuts. Bed the ply down to the tops of the stringers with a thickened epoxy. Use weights to hold it down or screws temporarily. Remove the temporary screws and seal the holes with epoxy. Give the ply another coat of regular epoxy or even better, a layer of glass cloth. Hopefully you have been using epoxy resin. Who's brand?

The only caulking needed would be on through hulls like the cooling water suction strainer. Stick with 3M 5200. It's a marine adhesive sealant with superior adhesion and sealing over any silicones.

CPES

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 8:51pm
Thanks for the response... I have been using elmers brand (from lowes) expoxy resin and cloth for all fiber glass reqairs. I have put 3 coats on all repairs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 10:26pm
Rob, What do they have for a filler (thickening)? Have you been using any - say for filleting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 11:40pm
the treated wood needs to breath and the reaction is called popping, just like thinner pop, it is the chemicals trying to get out of a sealed area, and this also causes things not to stick to it. a guy did his floors with treated then coated with resin and the dried resin was rolling right off of the wood. it did not adhere to the treated wood. marine ply is twice the price of normal and is not needed for floors or structural, make sure you scuff the surface of all woods for adhesion promotion
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 1:43am
Pete, the plywood I used was salt treated. It's now 10 years old and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm pretty sure resin would stick to it with no problem. Before I did it, I talked to an old guy that has worked with boats his whole life. He told me if you were to use untreated wood coated with resin, all it would take is one crack to form to let water in the wood and hold it in, thus rotting the floor. So I went with the treated and coated it with poly.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 7:49am
Tim, I'm glad that so far the treated hasn't given you any problems. Well, I'm a old guy too that has worked on boats all my life and primarily wood! The cracking in the ply is checking when it dries below the moisture content of when the plywood was made. Fir ply is especially prone to check and treated will do it too. My understanding of the development of the CPES is the checking was one of the primary purposes of it's development. The checking has been a problem since Higgins started making ply boats. (and of coarse CC after Higgins)

Structural cracking is a whole different problem. Typically, it may be from lack of support in a area or flexing of the hull when there isn't enough glass/hull thickness. The more brittle polyester resins are more likely to crack as well. It's the reason we see spider cracking in gel coats. When this happens next to wood, the CPES is a good solution to that problem too. With the CPES and then epoxy, a bending or flexing will tear wood before the bond breaks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 8:52am
I'll throw in my .02 on the CPES. It's a pleasure to work with except for a strong odor. It applies easily and has good working time. I put 1 coat on a few scrap pieces and cut them open the next day. The 'soak-in' factor was excellent...it seems to plasticize the outer part of the wood.

Good stuff.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 11:46am
Rob, Do you know if the Elmer's epoxy is new? I have never run across it and because I do like their products did a search. I couldn't find anything on it at the Elmer's glue site or at the Lowes site. Any help with getting me information? I'm still interested if they have any fillers to go in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:35pm
Thanks for clearing up what CPES was. It was a question I was going to ask you fibreglass guys.

The removable rear floor piece in my 89 is trash. I was going to replace it with what we call formply here in Aus it is 16mm thick with a plastic like coating on both sides. This coating would make it fairly water resistant would coat edges with a CPES equivalent.

Pics of formply used to replace floor in older Aus ski boat.

It is a 26" span in the 89 ski. Do you think 16mm (approx 5/8") is thick enough?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:44pm
Lewy, is it white melamine on both sides with partical board in between?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:48pm
Pete, here is the link on the Elmer's fiberglass I have been using. Let me know what you think.

http://www.elmers.com/products/product/product_page.asp?pCode=E770

Let me try to recap everyones advice;

1.)Marine plywood (MP) is good?
2.)Attach MP to repaired stingers with a good thick batch of resin.
3.)Put a layer of glass over the entire floor.

Does this sound like a plan???
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 1:03pm
Buffalo

It is a plywood not Kitchen cupboard shelving. They actually use it as formwork in concrete pours. It can be used numerous times.

I have only seen it in 16mm. Just dug my old piece out of trash. It is 20mm thick looks like they cut the inspection hole out with someone's falsh teeth.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by robman robman wrote:

Pete, here is the link on the Elmer's fiberglass I have been using. Let me know what you think.

http://www.elmers.com/products/product/product_page.asp?pCode=E770

Let me try to recap everyones advice;

1.)Marine plywood (MP) is good?
2.)Attach MP to repaired stingers with a good thick batch of resin.
3.)Put a layer of glass over the entire floor.

Does this sound like a plan???

Rob,
1. MP is not needed. go with exterior as stated.
2. yes, use a filler/thickener for high build areas such as fillets or where there may be some gaps like bedding/glueing down the ply to the stringers.
3. A layer of glass over the floor is preffered.

Now, the Elmer's is polyester resin and not epoxy (the reason I couldn't find it!). I would not recommend it. Go with a epoxy such as Mas or West. You can do a search. Greg I'm sure can chime in with a link to U.S. Composites. They will also have the fillers to add to the base resin. West is available at marine supplies. Polyester isn't as strong but the biggest reason I don't recommend it is it is hygroscopic. Not really a good thing around water!!! Boat hulls are made with it because it is less expensive.

Lewy, Interesting project. Keep the pictures coming. I too (like Greg) am skeptical about the board/sheet goods you are describing. If you are going to coat the edges which may not bond to whatever is on the surface creating a potential leak, just go with plywood completely coated.
Also, to make the post narrower and easier to read, go back in and edit your post. By using the "enter/return key between your pictures, it will stack them from top to bottom instead of side to side. Thanks

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 1:21pm
I believe our removable floor section is just treated 3/4" plywood. It gets soaked every time out, and still holding up just fine. Not sure if it's original, but it works. We also have redone the floor on the pontoon boat with treated plywood both times, and as long as it can breath and dry out it will last many years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic