NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom Grip Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom Grip Crisis
    Posted: June-20-2008 at 3:38am
I have been tuning up my slalom game by practicing my lean on a rope tied off to a post in my yard. Leaning on my offside felt very awkward. No wonder my off-side lean sucks on the water.

Much to my horror I find out from 3 sources at almost the same time that my grip is reversed. I am right foot forward, and my right hand is palm up.

I was out on the water tonight and swapped my grip. What a mess! Feels like I am starting over. I can visualize my offside cut getting stronger with the transposed grip, but it is going to suck for a while.

Anyone been through this? Is it worth it? Tips?

Thanks!
Got Foot?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 11:38am
I haven't been through it but I've heard from several people that it's well worth the effort. One person I talked to picked up a whole pass by doing it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 11:52am
It's worth it stick to it you'll end up more comfortable in the end.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 12:22pm
Really? I never thought about it. I just did what felt more natural, right foot forward, right palm up. You're all saying that is better form to have right foot forward right palm down? Sitting here at my desk it feels awkward....I guess, until you shift the top of the handle from point to 2:00 to pointing to 10:00. Hm!...guess I'll give it a shot. I can use any help I can get.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 12:50pm
Also a RFF and right palm up, have skied this way my whole life. Tried changing up my grip a couple times last season however never stuck with it, it just feels wrong. Will have to work on it again this season.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 1:00pm
Well when I read this I hoped I was doing it "wrong" looking for an excuse for my lifelong failure to get past being a mediocre slalom skier. I really aught to get a video or something, anyone got a recommendation?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 1:32pm
When your hands are backward you highlight the disparity between strong side and offside. Your hands are in their weakest position on the offside.

RFF, left palm up, puts your hands in their strongest position on the offside, and in the weaker position on your strong side where it matters less.

Now, if we're solving deep seeded psychological issues - Why is it that I ski with RFF, and wakeboard with LFF. Kick a football with the RF, but punt a football with the LF?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 1:45pm
BK, I concur 100% on the analysis. On my dry land pull training I can really feel the difference with the propoer grip. The palm up on my off side rotates my body better.

Behind the rope at 32 MPH last night it was another story. On my second set I was able to start letting go of the rope and one-hand turning. The Pull through the wakes is good, but when I let go of the rope and my loose had goes to find the handle, it defaults to the old grip.

2 of my sources for this issue was a mid-winter Waterski article with Andy Mapple. He said there is a preferred way, as we are discussing, but he has competed against pros that have an "incorrect" grip. The other source is in this month's Waterski in an article called "Analyze That" where pros comment on people's form. The lady pro mentioned the grip preference.

I go back 15 years as a rookie skier when a friend told me to adopt the over-under grip. When I aked him which one on top he said whatever feels comfortable. And that was that.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 2:53pm
I was talking to a skier who had just ran 39.5 off at ski school this spring. Even he had just made the switch recently, so don't feel bad.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 4:08pm
People who have there hands reversed will also tend to go sideways on their start. That is, with RFF and RH on top, you will tend to fall over the the left on the start.

When we walk, our left hand swing forward when our right foot steps forward. It is the body's natural way of maintaining balance on the rotation. Similarly, it is the most balanced position when skiing.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 4:47pm
A couple years ago I skied at Cobles, my grip was the first thing that April changed. Now it feels funky to hold it wrong. It didnt take but a day of skiing to get used to left foot forward, left palm down.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 5:47pm
So that's been my problem for the last 31 years! Thanks guys.
The pro tour is in Fenton, Mi this weekend, 20 miles from my house. I think I'll sign up.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 5:56pm
I love the barefooters and wakeboarders who baseball grip it.
Old Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2008 at 11:09pm
I would suggest you ease into it. If you have trouble starting use your old grip and once your up switch your grip. If your a course skier stay out of the course. Free ski and just take it easy. Ski straight if you have to. Gradually cut back and forth until it feels natural. As you feel better get more aggressive.
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 1:44am
Hey old ripper...where in Orlando are you?

Like your stable of boats...got pictures?

You ever hear of MM...he is right over there too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Old Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 12:54am
last 4 years out near UCF. (east Orlando) prior 37 south Orlando near SECC. The 99 is my current boat the 90 and 80 were previous. No pics I'll work on that. Negative on MM.
99/90/80 Ski Nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 1:25pm
Thanks for all of the tips and comments. I traded up my old ski for a newer model and tried the new grip and the ski at the same time. It was a wild ride. I tamed the ski for the time being and now I am going to work on the grip. I will stay off the course for a while. As a matter of fact I am going to dive into some instruction. This new ski is less forgiving and it brings out all of the kinks in my form. This may be a rebuilding year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic