NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Depth Gauge Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Depth Gauge Questions
    Posted: June-24-2008 at 9:26pm
Still getting used to the '01 SN I bought over winter. I have a depth gage that is labeled "Hummingbird" brand. It has a "set" button and "up" and "down" arrows.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how this thing works.

1. First of all it is miscalibrated. It shows 20 feet when I know I am in 7 feet of water.
2. I tried to use the "set" function to calibrate it in a known depth, but all I did was change what level the "alarm" sounds for shallow water.

Now, I can't get the thing to stop beeping.

Anyone familiar with these? Is there a manual for this gauge. The SN manual is silent on this device.

Thanks!
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:49am
I think Keith did a write up on that brand a while back. You may want to do a search for "Hummingbird" and see what comes up. I am not sure if he would know how to fix your problem, but you could probably find instructions on the internet.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 7:51pm
I installed one of those in place of my worthless clock.
Here is a link to the manual:

Hummingbird hdr600

Mine is actually an hdr610, but they look about the same.

You will need
Adobe Acrobat Reader to read since it is a .pdf

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 7:54pm
Also, if it doesn't seem like it is reading the correct depth, you may have to adjust the "keel offset"

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 8:54pm
Thanks Randy. That's what I love about this board. Lot's of knowledge.

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 9:32pm
i have the same depth gauge

you should press set then use the up down arrow to set the alarm back to 03 or 00.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:13pm
That sounds good for the shallow alarm. What about the misreading of the depth?    

Randy says to adjust the "keel offset" but according to the manual it seems like it is designed to compensate for the disparity between where the unit is mounted and where the waterline is.

What is your "keel offset" set at?
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:20pm
wel i didn't install it so don't know anything about keel offset or what that is. but i read onl that the wash between the hull and waterline is what cuases mis reading. min miss read in deep water it says i'm in 4 feet when i'm acually in more then 40 feet
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:28pm
Mreading is just exaggerated. If I am in 4 feet of water it reads 7 or 8. If I am in 10 feet it reads 15 or 17. I believe it is "sensing the bottom" clearly, but seems miscalibrated.

I don't know if the miscalibration is "linear" i.e. it always read 5 feet deeper at any given depth.

Perhaps the "keel offset" function will work. You can click the link to the manual above which tells what the function does.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:31pm
wel i aint exegerating cus my alarm goes on when i'm cruising in a port next to a ship so it can never be less then 4 feet. it doesn't stay in 4 feet the alarm goes of for about 2 sec then it will go back to the real depth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:35pm
The "keel offset" is to compensate for where the puck is mounted in the hull and the waterline. I have mine set at 0 sine I am most interested in how far the bottom of the lake is to the bottom of my boat.

Like k.o. says, the wash or turbulence under the boat is usually what causes misreadings while underway. I took my boat out after installing the depth finder and before setting the puck in the epoxy. I used a zip bag partially filled with water and set the puck on top of it to get an idea of where to mount the puck. I did some testing of the reading while under way and tried to find the best spot for it.

while I can usually get a pretty good idea of how deep the water is while underway, It still tends to bounce all over the place when your hauling butt.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 10:36pm
also, If your epoxy had bubbles in it when it was mixed up, this could cause mis-readings.
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 1:30am
Unfortunately this is a common problem with hummingbirds, esp. the lower end models. You may try a different style transducer if available and that will help most of the time. I had a lot of issues with the last one we bought, wich was not an entry level, and it always gives trouble at speed. I bought an Eagle that was in the same price range, actually cheaper and have had a lot less issues and false readings from it. I have the Eagle on my Ski-Tigue because I like to know what's below me and how far it is, before I strap the wakeboard or slalom on.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 5:22pm
Thought I would close the loop on this one. Went to the lake, had to set the shallow alarm to zero to keep the thing quiet. I adjusted the keel offset to -2.0 which at least I had it calibrated at the dock which is 4 feet. I still think it reads too deep on the open water as I know roughly how deep out lake is, but at least the thing is not driving me nuts.

Perhaps I will upgrade to a better model one day. Hey, I have an idea! How about digital speed/tach gauges? Oh yeah (dripping with sacrcasm) they already tried that one...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic