Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Small gel coat chip repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small gel coat chip repair
    Posted: July-03-2008 at 1:13pm
Restoration on my new 75 ski Nautique is coming along. Got the motor started last night and it sounds like a racecar! I am getting ready to wet sand the top deck following the excellent instructions in this forum. What I did some guidance on is what to use for the small pecks on the gel coat mostly on the edge that probably rubbed against too many docks. Can this be accomplished without having to repaint and still look good?
Almost forgot, the stuffing box? Is that a special part I need to order or is it a standard automotive type hose?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 4:24pm
If the scratch is not all the way down to the glass you can sand and buff it back.

I used gel repair paste from spectrum to repair some nicks in the white (silvercloud). I also used some of the epoxy paste kit that you mix w/ color, can't remember the brand name... bought at local marina. It works nicely but matching the color can be a little tricky since it seems to dry a different color than when it is wet. But, on a small nick or scratch it's hardly noticeable.

I think you are talking about the piece of rubber hose connecting the stuffing box to the log. to replace that hose, you need to drop the shaft.

I'm sure some good pics would help us help you better.
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 5:40pm
Thanks, I will try the paste prior to wet sanding and buffing and maybe it will blend. You are correct on the hose. I found some Teflon (used to be wax)shaft wadding. I will slide the hose than wrap the wadding than replace the hose. If it still leaks I will have to drop the shaft.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 9:47pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 9:53pm
If he color doesn't match when you fill the damage It won't match any better after you buff it.

If you go with the stuff you have to mix and match, I would sand and buff at least enough to get the color back so you can match it.

The Spectum gel patch is original color but if your gel is old you will probably still notice a small difference in color.

Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2008 at 3:31pm
Thanks guys, I found the evercoat in white locally. It seems to be pretty close to a wet sanded section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic