NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old guys day

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old guys day
    Posted: July-07-2008 at 2:41pm
Had a great morning this past Saturday. I ran into a guy I know that is 61 yo and was a top NE tournorment skier back in the early 60's. He hadn't skiied in a least 10 years. He got right up with a drop ski and skied really well. He was thrilled.

I then went and rounded up my brother who is also 61 yo and who had given up skiing a few years ago. I got him up with a drop ski and he had a blast. He is going to keep on skiing, now.

Anyone with older friends that have or are about to give up slalom skiing, talk them into using a drop ski. They'll thank you for it.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 11:51pm

Bruce,at 55yo I skied for the first time in a long time this past Saturday and I'm still paying for it. Three falls and six or seven deep water start attempts on one ski really wore me out. I had to roll myself up onto the swim platform on my brothers boat with him and my wife laughing at me. I probably should have used a drop ski but I'm a little stubborn(or so they tell me).
I can't wait for the soreness to go away so I can go again. It felt great!
Watch your fingers.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 12:02am
I am 51 and am getting ready to start barefootin... Tried Bearfoot back in 1990 but did not have a quick enough boat...
Got one now.
Been on slalom as much as I can this year to build that needed strength.

I purchased the Boom from Tim so that I would have someone to sue if it I hurt any of these old bones ..

Never too late to get out on the water.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 12:56am

I thought about trying to barefoot but after Saturday I feel I should wait until I grow up a little.

Farmer
Watch your fingers.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 1:29am
Just came home from Tennessee...best part was footin' with my brother (65) and good friend Ralph (68)...well the best part after showing off a bit. I got pics but gotta get them on here.

Never to late critter!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Had a great morning this past Saturday. I ran into a guy I know that is 61 yo and was a top NE tournorment skier back in the early 60's. He hadn't skiied in a least 10 years. He got right up with a drop ski and skied really well. He was thrilled.

I then went and rounded up my brother who is also 61 yo and who had given up skiing a few years ago. I got him up with a drop ski and he had a blast. He is going to keep on skiing, now.

Anyone with older friends that have or are about to give up slalom skiing, talk them into using a drop ski. They'll thank you for it.

Those Big Kahuna slaloms are good for old robust has beens. Ask your buddy if he skied the 64 Nationals, It was held in my cove.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 3:27pm
I ran into the former tournoment skier last Saturday and he wants to do the INT event at Purity Springs in September. I don't know if he had had one too many beers when I saw him or not. I love his spirit though. My brother hasn't been back up since, but insists he's going again before the summer is over.

JBear, I amazed that you guys are out there barefooting.

Gary, I would never have guessed you were older than me.

Critter, let us know how it goes. I would love to barefoot, but don't know that I could survive the beating while trying to learn.

Hardock, you from Maine? Was it Adams Pond? It was his club that put it on.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 4:27pm
I'm only 40 so I'm a bit young for this club, I did just pickup an F1X wide body slalom, love it! at 6'1 and about 225 it made all the differance in being able to get out on one again. Been 10 years or better since I had been up, gets a little easier each time and the kids really enjoy the competition.

Hope to start footing again when the strength comes back. Last time I was at Cypress Gardens Bannana George was still there footing at about 80. Dad's 67, Im going to try and get him out this summer yet so the boys can see him.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2008 at 11:37pm
Riley, No, I'm in Massachusetts. I have skied at the Pine Tree Open in Sanford ME but I don't recall the name of the pond. It was mid seventies.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 12:48am
Sean: The Bananna Man footed last year on his 92nd birthday on the boom. Could barely walk to the boat. This year for his 93rd (!) he tried but could not make it. There is an event down here around his birthday called the Blairfoot. Fun day to see some great footing.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic