NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very cool Show Ski trick

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very cool Show Ski trick
    Posted: July-18-2008 at 10:22am
We tried this at the regional competition last weekend behind our twin engine Hydrodyne but it didn't quite make it. We did do it in practice the week before. Last night we did it behind an inboard (sorry about the brand). For those who know show skiing, most people do a trick called "Around The Boat, or ATB". It's where a skier or skiers go all the way around the boat with help from a good boat driver. We saw it done last weekend with three skiers, at one time, bacerds. But nobody at the tournament had seen this trick done;

Two/One Pyramid ATB

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 11:40am
That's really cool. I see the boat does an "S" turn there- isn't the boat supposed to spin out and go the other way? I'd love to do an ATB of any sort one of these days. Any tips for driving one of these?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:01pm
Steve,

Excellent!! Very impressive. Gives us something to shoot for at Lake George - we'll have Jeff Kostis drive for us. Ha Ha.

An ATB, like Joel said, even a one man one, is on my TDBID (to-do-before-I-die) list. Sort of like bacerds barefooting, which I am starting to chip away at.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:37pm
M3 and 75

It's not that hard to do with one slalom skier, but the driver has to be very careful if the skier doesn't make it around.
Joel, the object for the boat is to go out of the trick in the same direction that you come in. Some teams do it where the boat comes in from 6:00 and leaves at 3:00. It looks best if the boat comes in at 6:00 and goes out at 12:00. The other hard part is that the rope has to go over the top of the windshield, so we have a rubber tube that covers the top frame of the windshield. I have done it with two slalom skiers behind my 16' outboard, but I have a tower. I'll post that if I can find the video.
Steve

I forgot an important part, tell your observer to DUCK!!!
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That's really cool. I see the boat does an "S" turn there- isn't the boat supposed to spin out and go the other way? I'd love to do an ATB of any sort one of these days. Any tips for driving one of these?

Joel,
There was discussion about this a couple weeks ago when somebody was looking at buying a pro's demo boat. The talk also moved to ski teams demo boats and motors. I was convinced that there is nothing wrong with buying such a boat but others said to stay far, far away because they do numerous around the boats and spinouts every show.

This trick, when done properly is nothing more than a slow speed "S" turn just like you see in the video. The driver shouldn't even have to put it in neutral. The key is that you loose most of your maneuverability as soon as you hit neutral. You should know this when you drive your own boat at low speed. You just give the skier a gentle turn to start their cut out from the wake. Then you just start your slow speed but very sharp turn right toward the skier. You'll have to have a spotter in the boat to make sure that the rope goes over your head OK because as a driver, you NEVER take your eyes of the skier at this point. As you turn inside of the skier and the rope comes over your head and the bow, just keep the turn to make sure the rope stays taught. Once the skier starts coming back behind the boat again, you need to straighten it out and feather your throttle to make sure that you don't jerk the rope out their hands. You may have to touch neutral if the skier has lost too much speed to stay on top of the water but when done properly, it isn't needed.    
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:06pm
By the way, a very cool trick with the pyramid Steve!!!! The driver absolutely nailed that one. Nicely done.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:34pm
Joel we can do this no problem. I've skied and driven them behind the '88.

Steve, never seen a pyramid ATB. What skis were they on? What's with the gloves?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Joel,
There was discussion about this a couple weeks ago when somebody was looking at buying a pro's demo boat. The talk also moved to ski teams demo boats and motors. I was convinced that there is nothing wrong with buying such a boat but others said to stay far, far away because they do numerous around the boats and spinouts every show.

Was that a jab?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:34pm
I used to tow my brother doing this trick with my 90SN.   Took a few tries. Very fun flashy move on your lake. Everyone wants to see it again.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Joel,

Was that a jab?

LOL!!!! Sorry Joel, wasn't a jab at all. My most humble apologies. I had to chuckle to myself after rereading it though.
A couple weeks ago it was one of the worst things you could do to a boat, and now you want to learn how to do it. You gotta admit, that's pretty funny sh*t. I'm just LMAO here.

Holy crap am I glad it'a friday!!!!

Eddie
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 5:54pm
Hey, I've actually defended powerturns as being harmless on several occasions! I should have never used the show ski example in that old post. It's gunna be with me forever now. The main point was that they beat the hell out of their boats in general.

Anyway, This trick must be learned by my boat crew for sure.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 6:16pm
Not only the driver has a responsability in this, but even more so the co driver!!
We also do the ATB trick in our club, and it's the co driver (in this case, and no bragging, me...) who keeps his eyes peeled on the skier at all times and keeping the driver "updated"...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:13pm
Hey!
Why is it always the driver, the co-driver, the person on the dock, the chicks on the beach who are the most important?   How about the skiers?

Wood,
The bases are wearing their jump skis. In regards to the gloves, we all wear gloves in the hard pulling acts. And this is one hard pulling act.

Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

waterskier2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:41pm
whats up guys. this is tullfooters son. i actually filmed and edited the movie. sorry for the lame editing but i was under pressure from the team to get it edited and on youtube within an hour after it was done. one thing i was noticing on the forums is that when anyone mentions backwards, like backwards barefooting or backwards ATB, they say bacerds, whats with this
-Brendan Kirchner
Glass is made to be shattered

85BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:50pm
Brendan,

Editing and the video were fine, don't worry about that. Neat stunt. Had to be fun to be part of it.

The bacerds thing started with this thread and stuck. The guy that started it was a short timer, don't know what came of him, but he certainly left a legacy.

bacerds thread

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 6:23pm
75, thanks for the post and the info
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:17am
Larry, thanks for posting that bacerds thread. I missed it somehow and got a great laugh from it tonight! I really liked Quinner's message all bacerd in it!

I love the ATB. Gotta try it. Hmmm...whom to drive? Shall I let my son kill me, or Mrs. Dude?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 11:50am
Our team does the ATB with 2 skiers on staggered shortened ropes. I have seen the Sarasota Ski A Rees perform this trick with 8 skiers. If I am not mistaken they hold the record with 11 ATB.
If you are going to attempt this make sure your mirror is removed, bmimi top is removed and that you do not have a split windsheild.
The only trick for the skier is not to look at the boat and continue to keep the ski on edge.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 1:00pm
We do 4-5 staggered rope cut under ATBs. I've stepped into the 4 man a few times but don't do them regularly.

NCH2OSKIER is totally right, if you look at the boat you're screwed! You'll be late and get a wall of wash from the guy in front (short) of you and go OTF. If you're lucky you might make it around but not under the long(er) man's rope and look like a pansy. Some teams do not do cut unders and it's weak IMO.

The spotter needs to actually help the rope up and over the windshield on the older more squared off windshields like our 88. I've heard of putting a section of garden hose on the rope to help it "roll" along the windshield if you're having problems snagging. Again, easy to ski the work is on the driver.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskier2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 1:27pm
@hollywood. actually going along with your garden hose point, out main ATB driver has a plastic piece of tubing with a cut in it. it is then put over the top edge of his windshield and the ropes slide right over this. then again his windshield is not very square, because i believe his boat is an '07 or '08.
-Brendan Kirchner

85BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2008 at 2:48pm
Here's a preview of the Northeast Reunion. Tim has been putting a lot of hours in his training.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:06pm
Thats cool. I would join back with our team again if they ever would get their head out of the sand and try new stuff.

Tim

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 5:26pm
I guess you should take that info out of your signature then. While you may have more talent than average, I'm sure there are younger kids that could benefit from your knowledge.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2008 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I guess you should take that info out of your signature then. While you may have more talent than average, I'm sure there are younger kids that could benefit from your knowledge.

Actually taking some neighbors out this week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic