Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pinging noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinging noise
    Posted: July-18-2008 at 2:19pm
On my 89 SN 351 w/1:23 trans, I've noticed this season, albeit only around 5 hrs of use thus far, that on occassion after going into forward gear (typically with a skiier) and easing into the throttle I hear a pinging or clanking noise.
As far as I can determine the driveline (shaft) at coupler to prop is tight and no play.

Any ideas and or suggestions to troubleshoot or repair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Danny
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 2:44pm
sounds like you have a damper starting to let loose, a new one should cure the problem, also make sure the engine is running top notch cause a miss will also create transmission noises
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 3:03pm
Thanks Eric.

How involved is replacing the damper? I assume the tranny would have to come out and be disassembled?

The tranny was rebuilt about 160 hrs ago by PCM (i think per PO). How much damage can be caused by waiting to the end of the summer? I'm guessing at the rate I've used the boat this year I may only rack up a total of 25hrs, that including the few I've already added.

Thanks again. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 3:56pm
you should be good until summers end, the damper plate bolts to the flywheel and you wont have to dis-assemble the trans
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 6:58pm
Oh good! Thanks for the help.

Eric, can you get the damper plate, or is that a Skidim part?
Danny

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:15pm
PCM part only, ja or skidim
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:19pm
Thanks Eric. I may have to call you when I do it.

Happy Weekend..... Danny
Danny

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic