Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Something in my PCM 40 trans broke.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something in my PCM 40 trans broke.
    Posted: August-16-2008 at 12:29pm
Went to the river today to do some boating and when i was turning around to get someone who fell something in my trans broke. It sounded like something snapped and the engine revved up. So my buddy who is a mechanic was with us and he took the linkage off and put it into gear manually. It would move forward at an idle but if you gave it a little gas the trans would start slipping. My buddy said that it was like it wasnt going all the way into gear or something...

Any ideas on what this could be?

I checked the fluid level and it was kinda a brownish red color. No foul odors and no metal shaving from what I would see..
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 1:39pm
forward drum, did it go into reverse?
"the things you own will start to own you"
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 1:46pm
It goes into forward and reverse and goes good at an idle but if you give it gas it slips.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 4:26pm
tazman7
B       BREAK
O       OUT
A       ANOTHER
T       THOUSAND
tazman7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2008 at 9:20pm
Figured it out. There is a half moon shaped key that connects the drive shaft to the transmission. Well that sheared off... So now I need to find a key and take it to a local place to cut another slot in it because this one is misshaped now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2008 at 10:45am
good to hear
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2008 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by tazman7 tazman7 wrote:

So my buddy who is a mechanic was with us and he took the linkage off and put it into gear manually. It would move forward at an idle but if you gave it a little gas the trans would start slipping. My buddy said that it was like it wasnt going all the way into gear or something...

I have to ask, what kind of a mechanic is your friend? Automotive?

Was the key that sheared in the coupling? If so, sounds like it's fretted blowing the interference fit between the prop shaft and the coupling half. The cause - bad alignment. You had better do some checking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 9:57am
his name was Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic