NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProBoss GT40 Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProBoss GT40 Intake Manifold
    Posted: February-08-2005 at 1:49pm
Hi,
I need some help. While deployed this fall to OIF, We had and unusualy early freeze. Well I had not planned a head and the boat wasnt winterized yet; boy was I pissed at myself. Now to the point, the lower intake manifold cracked. From what I can tell I may have gotten lucky and that was all that was damaged. None of the freeze plugs popped,( I dont know why not).
My question is are there any aftermarket manifolds for the GT-40 ProBoss 5.8L engine that anyone has used. It seems no one realy has a clue what aftermarkets will work on a PCM engine. Skidim recommends using the pcm replacement at$800, and they seem to think that that is the only one that will fit.
Thanks
Dallas
2001 SkiNautique 196
ProBoss GT-40 5.8L Mulitiport EFI
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2005 at 3:32pm
Be careful and thorougly inspect your block. Just because the frost plugs didn't pop out doesn't mean there isn't damage.

Frost plugs do pop out on occasion but not always. Their primary purpose is to fill holes in the block left from core prints in the casting process, not to protect the block from damage.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2005 at 4:18pm
I believe edlebrock makes one check JEG's or Summit racing.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2005 at 12:29pm
Most of the time, the only difference on the intake is the thermostat cover, which sends water in two directions. Don't use a high rise, it's for high rpms, lower manifolds make more bottom end power. If you see water in the oil, you could have cracks in the block and/or heads.
Tim D
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2005 at 12:51pm
So far the only two places I found damage are the Left Head and the Lower intake manifold. I am going to borrow a scope (We use it to look into Jet engines to look for damage). I am trying to work top down. Cheap and easy repairs (well not realy cheap). I know it seems retarded, but I am going to fix the known problems ( if the engine scope appears to be ok) put it back together and see what happens. I have already committed the funds I need toward a new engine if these easy fixes are not the problema and the block is shot. I will then use the salvage components from this engine to rebuild a new block and sell that.
What a headache; and it was all self induced.
The school of hard knocks has expensive tuition. LOL

A good saying that fits right now:
"Life is hard, its even harder if your Stupid"

Thanks for all the advice.
Dallas
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2005 at 1:49pm
Have you drained the oil? look for water. If you haven't turned it over, the water and oil will be seperated already since it was just sitting. If it has been turned over you may have to let it sit and seperate. If you see water in the oil you mise well stop and save the cash for the re-build, but if it is water free oil then you may get lucky.
Dallas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2005 at 2:05am
Yes there was water in the oil, But not prior to me Putting a hose to the H2O intake and turning it over. From how the crack is in the Lower intake manifold, I am pretty sure that is where the water was being leaked into the lifter valley and down into the engine. I am going to scope the engine then put it back together. Its a thousand dollar gamble. If it does turn out to be a cracked block and not just the intake and heads. I will take the good parts and build up a new block. I know that the odds are against this working out in my favor, but I am an optimist and a hard head.
watermutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2005 at 11:02am
try FRPP ford racing performance products. they have upper and lower intake set for around $500.00
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic