Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79barefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79barefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel
    Posted: September-12-2008 at 11:57pm
Looking for a new steerring wheel for 79 BFN. Does anyone know if this is a boat specific part or do you think I may find one at a boat shop or maybe even one for an old car?
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:14am
I can't help much, but...

If I remember correctly the boat wheel is a taper fit with a woodruff key.

I have some experience with early model Chevys and recall that wheel being a splined taper fit. In other words an early model Chevy wheel won't work.

Maybe the stock wheels were made by Teleflex???

I'd look throught the West Marine catalog. Maybe you can find something similar.

Or...you can try a post "Looking for a steering wheel." Some here have parts and parts boats. Try posting on the General Discussion board.

Good Luck!

Matt

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 10:35am
The more I think about it, I can't recall exactly how the marine steering wheel attaches!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

The more I think about it, I can't recall exactly how the marine steering wheel attaches!

Matt, you were correct the first time! They are a 3/4" taper. A puller plate is needed (or if you're a backyard mechanic, the BFH) to get them off. The alternate backyard method, most of the time will require a new helm as well!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
68 Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 12:11pm
If you have the old wheel you may want to look at refinishing it. I found a source in "trade a plane" and am going to get the wheel done on our Skylark this winter or next (although they claim a one week turn around) They quoted me $175.

www.advancepainttech.com

Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic