NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 5:56pm
I have always sucked antifreeze from a bucket to winterize. I first run it off the fake-a-lake till it warms up. Take a bucket with 2 gallons of antifreeze and put it next to the RWP and unhook the intake hose and slide a 4 foot hose on and stick it in the bucket. I have 2 large buckets under each exhaust. I use plain antifreeze because it will mix with the water already in the block. I catch and recycle the antifreeze over and over until it becomes warm. I check the freezing point of what comes out. Then I remove a hose on the intake and circ pump and check the freezing point. And I blow out the water and add antifreeze in the tranny cooler plumbing. I remove the belt on the RWP so I can crank it about once a month and let it run for 10 or 15 seconds. I don't bother with fogging and I put stabil in the tank.
Tim D
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 8:43pm
Sounds like alot of extra work, but maybe it isn't work to you if you enjoy doing it!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

and a mechanic friend told me that if I had the opportunity of storing the engine inside, the best thing to do is letting the engine run for 15 minutes to a half hour every two weeks.

I wouldn't think running the engine for that short a time would get everything up to temperature. I'd be concerned about condensation in the oil in particular.
1989 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 10:52am
Last year I stopped by to pet the boat in the middle of winter. I just turned the engine over a little with a wrench so that the pistons weren't in the same exact spot. Don't know if it did any good but it didn't cost anything either. I was also told it was bad to start an engine if you weren't going to let it warm up good.

Ben Franklin
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 6:25pm
If you dont let it heat up fully, You have a risk of blowing the head gasket.
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

If you dont let it heat up fully, You can only really do this by putting it in the water and using it, You have a risk of blowing the head gasket.

Chris,
I've lost you where you're going with this comment. If the engine is run long enough on the garden hose, it will heat up and not need to go in the water - correct? Where's the risk of a blown head gasket coming in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 11:52am
?????
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 11:20pm
One way to blow the head gasket is failure to let the engine heat up fully before turning it off. If you repeat this, it is a possibility. I wouldn't start it up for like 2 minutes in the offseason just to start it up. Let it warm up 100%. Same in a car, My Uncle's Dodge Durango Blew a head gasket, His wife would take the boys to school in the winter, it was only like 1 mile away. Everyday she did this, and a week later the head gasket blew.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:43am

My Uncle's Dodge Durango Blew a head gasket, His wife would take the boys to school in the winter, it was only like 1 mile away. Everyday she did this, and a week later the head gasket blew.

Chris,
Please don't take this comment as me picking on to in any way - I'm just disagreeing with your theory.

Your uncles Durango blew a head gasket but was it from not being warmed up completely? No one really knows!! Think about the thousands of short trips people do every single day in their cars. We don't have thousands of blown head gaskets!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 8:45pm
I said If you repeat this. ONe time aint gonna do it.
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 10:17pm

I said If you repeat this. ONe time aint gonna do it.

Chris,
Please read what I said. I'll leave it with this. Here it is again:
"Think about the thousands of short trips people do every single day in their cars"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 10:12am
Sounds like some material for Mythbusters to work on!

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 6:50pm
yes it does. That would be cool.
74SkiNautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 3:14pm
BS won't happen, it failed because of poor torqueing of the head bolts not because she made a thousand one mile trips to school.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 2:46pm
Winter is half way over, I guess it is time to winterize.

This is just a piece of vinyl tubing (1" ??) where I hook up the garden hose to run it on the trailer. 1' of hose and 2 hose clamps is pretty cheap.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 10:11pm
^^Exactly how I have always done all my boats. But I went exotic, and have about 6 feet of hose.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic