NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couple ?’s from a first timer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple ?’s from a first timer
    Posted: October-13-2008 at 12:24am
First, thanks to you all for this site - I just bought my first Nautique (96) and with all the help from this site I hope my winterization will be successful. There were a few questions that I wanted to bounce off of everyone to get input so I can put her away for a few months without any worries. Thank you in advance

1. Why does my starboard side block drain have a hose coming from it?

2. I am pretty sure I remember which end is "up" on the RWP when I took it out, but is there a easy way to tell to double check my memory?

3. The engine manual calls for type 5 tranny fluid yet on my tranny it says 2...which one should I use?

I have a few others but will keep it simple for now. Again - thanks to you all...after pouring over these forums I was able to put a collaborative winterization program together and hope it works.

Thanks
Greg
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 10:08am
what trans?
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 12:56pm
Answers:

1. Im guessing you have a heater or shower? The block drains are a common place to tap into the hot water source.

2. Im assuming you have a LH 351w and the 1.23 tranny (I dont think they offered the 1:1 past '95). If thats the case (give us the engine serial number if youre not sure) then the set screw on the RWP should face inwards (towards the block) when its reinstalled.

3. Just use conventional Dex/Merc. Do NOT use synthetic. I prefer Valvoline. Stay away from the High Mileage stuff.
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 1:08pm
1. Yes I have a heater. That explains it, thank you.

2. Will get you the serial number and will make sure the impeller spins so it pushes the water up towards the motor.

3. So the Dex type 5 tranny fluid will be fine?

Due to the topside oil changer I used (attempted) did not work, I had to get the engine up to temp two or three times, and I think I made the mistake of fogging through the intake each time...how much trouble am I in with the motor since I did that? I am concerned of hydrostatic lock. I did not spray a ton in, just enough to choke it out. I am really concerned.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 1:37pm
Not sure about the Dex 5. When I say Dex/Merc, I mean Dex/Merc:

I dont know what you mean by "topside oil changer". Are you draining the oil using the provided oil drain hose attached to the pan? Dont worry about hydrolocking the engine- fogging oil is pretty tame, IMO. Ive fogged with generous amounts of 30w oil in the past and have never had an issue.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 3:21pm
I wouldn't listen to TRBenj, he still hasn't had his "first time". Looks like he's done some research though!
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 3:25pm
just an oil changer through the dipstick and when that didnt work, I realized that there was a drain hose through hull plug which I will use from now on (I know, rookie)

I didnt want to wait until spring to figure out I was going to have bent rods or anything else. I could run it again to be sure everything sounds ok and re-winterize...has anyone else seen someone lock up a motor due to over/multiple fogging? Thank you for your input TRBenj
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by gcarbone gcarbone wrote:

has anyone else seen someone lock up a motor due to over/multiple fogging?

gc,
I've fogged many a engine, been around boats for quite some time and my first job as a teen was at a marina. I've never heard of anyone hydrolocking up a engine from fogging. I still use the old method of using a pump oil can (50% motor oil and 50% Marvel Mystery oil) and squirt lots more down the carb than comes out of the aerosal fogging stuff!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 4:22pm
8122, I have seen a ton of your posts and it sounds like you have some experience to say the least. I appreciate your input - I was nervous and glad you guys could help me out. TRBenj's thread on winterizing was awesome with pics he included. I look forward to bouncing more stuff off of you guys and I wont hesitate.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 8:45pm
gcarbone, sounds like you did everything WRONG> Just load the boat up and make the short drive to Louisiana. Here we don't have to do all that stuff and get to run almost year round,
The boat will be in a good home environment, and surrounded by other CC's to bond with, after all we are here to help out a Fan anytime.
Sounds like the winter storage was done properly and will do fine come spring, but the offer still stands to keep her here.................Boat dr
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 9:07pm
Sometimes the simple answers are the best Doc. Throw an extra blanket in, and you're winterized. Down to a chilly 70 degrees here. BKH
Livin' the Dream

gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2008 at 11:20am
You guys have it made, I'll make the trek but I am staying too then...have work for me for the winter? I think I will put mine away for good this weekend...I picked it up late in the season this year so it was a tease and will now have to wait - I suppose I should develop some patience at some point.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

gcarbone, sounds like you did everything WRONG> Just load the boat up and make the short drive to Louisiana. Here we don't have to do all that stuff and get to run almost year round,
The boat will be in a good home environment, and surrounded by other CC's to bond with, after all we are here to help out a Fan anytime.
Sounds like the winter storage was done properly and will do fine come spring, but the offer still stands to keep her here.................Boat dr

Ill be down next weekend if thats the offer!!

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 3:05pm
Tim the offer still stands.........
This weekend is would be great.Natchez Ms.is having their annual Hot Air Baloon Race.Two day event with 100 or so ballons.
One hell of a party both on the bluffs and in the water.Bring the boat for the races and stay for the WINTER........Billy/Karen
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 12:55am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

been around boats for quite some time and my first job as a teen was at a marina.

Weren't all the boats wood with oars and sails back then?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 7:06pm
Damn! Am I the only one that thought this was a thread about sex tips for virgins???
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 8:28pm
is it unusual for the boat to turn harder to the right at running speed? Eric- I reviewed your thread on alignment...could I be off if it really takes an arm to turn right? My friend has a 91 and is a SN lifer and he said not to worry....is it that common?

Azeus- sorry to disappoint but I am sure you can google that and find some tips if you are in need.

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2008 at 8:45pm
10-4 good buddy!

FWIW, my boat turns harder to the right as well and will pull to the left if I take my hand off the wheel. I have also been told this is pretty standard. Does the '96 have the little trim tab on the rudder? When I had to have my rudder replaced, they put one on with the trim tab and that helped a lot.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 10:47am
One of these other CC guys will chime, but even new boats make a hard long turn to the starboard and a nice sharp quick to port, its normal why? maybe a Nascar car guy designed them lol, wait for an intelligent answer
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 11:41am
Must be lucky but our boat has no steering torque either way, will go straight with no hands on the wheel, not that I have ever tried that . . .

We run below 3000 RPM, that might make a difference.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 1:11am
No trim tab Adam and thanks for taking the joke

Sounds likes a tough right turn is fine but I would love to hear why in addition to the Nascar Engineering...Thanks guys
96 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic