NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Down Under 89 Project

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down Under 89 Project
    Posted: October-28-2008 at 11:02am
My SN2001 project is finally taking shape. Got the hull back on rebuilt trailer last weekend.

The only parts I used from original trailer were the axle, cross beams & the prop guard. The original trailer had a bad case of cancer.

I used this site as a great reference for the trailer mods and wet sanding.

My goal was to lower the trailer so that it would be easier to launch from the banks of our local dams (lakes) but keeping the original simplicity of the CC trailer design. I initially went a bit low and had problems with trailer bottoming out. Have that sorted now.
I just hope it launches easier than the 87 SN2001 that I imported at the same time as my 89. It had a type 3 trailer also with extremely high profile truck tires. I called them semi trailer tyres as they must have had a huge weight loading.

I can now attack the list of things to do inside the boat now. I hope to water test the weekend but I have a bad habit of under estimating the time required to do specific jobs on the boat.

As your season is coming to a end ours down under is getting into full swing the hot weather has been slow in arriving but it hit 31C today. This helps with my motivation.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 10:27pm
Pictures wont display. They appear to upload OK & I can see the text entry for it but no pics.

I have uploaded pics before with no problems. Is anybody else having problems with pic uploads.

I know Keith has increased the size to 500kb. These pics are smaller than this. I have even tried reducing them to less than 150kb but same problem.

They also wont display in preview mode like they used too.

I don't want to go to the trouble of Photobucket account. Also if you ever move the file the link is lost this becomes a problem with old posts that lose these links.

And to think I work in IT and still get frustrated by these damn things.

89 Ski

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 1:45am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Well this makes me feel a little better....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 1:50am
Photobucket is the way brother, easy as pie and no size limits of note, if this is the beginning of the project you should suck it up and get it done, we love pictures.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 2:00am
Photos fixed. Try to avoid characters like the number sign (#) in file names.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 2:47am
The boat looks nice and clean. Great job and enjoy the sun.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 1:56am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Well this makes me feel a little better....

john

I agree John but I've found out practice makes perfect.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 10:31am
in the pursuit of perfection, nice job Lewy
"the things you own will start to own you"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:53am
As I suspected did not get through all the little things to water test the boat.

The alignment took much longer than I estimated. I had to remove the rear engine mounts to get the lock nuts undone. This was ok as I wanted to clean them up anyway.

Now that I have them back in and aligned how do you tighten the lock nuts back up. It's impossible to get a large shifter in there. The nuts measure 37mm about 1.46 inchs. I don't think even purcashing a 37mm open ended spanner will help as it is very hard to get access with the design of the mounts on the 89.

Is there a special tool for this? Or just tap it tight with chisel/punch.

89 Ski

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 9:01am
Thanks for fixing the filenames Keith the old reserved characters problem hey?. It so easy to overlook the simplest things now because the operating system allow you almost any character as a filename. Not like the good old 8 & 3 days of DOS when life was much more simple.

89 Ski

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 11:41am
Lewy - I made a special wrench for this (it is pretty ugly so I don't want to post a pic) by welding some tabs onto a old 1" wrench.    The tabs act like a fork to reach down & grab 2 flats.

As an alternative to building your own wrench, I would say that it would be OK to chisel against the flats to tighten it up. You might want to mark the locknuts with a line so you can see if they start to slip over time - I did.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 8:06am
Thanks SNobsessed I just tapped them tight for now. I will check alignment in the water this weekend when the boat gets its first water test.

I was putting all the running gear back on the transom yesterday. And I was contemplating putting a bung in the bottom of the transom like most of out Aussie boats have. My theory for this is that with my old boat I used to wind the jockey wheel up as high as it would go and leave the rear bung out of the boat so it would completely dry out the boat between uses.

With the history of wet foam in this old boats trapping water it seems to make even more sense. Also would putting bungs in either side outside the stringers in this foam filled floor area at the transom be worthwhile?

Looking forward to comments from the people who have replaced their stringers to see if they think this idea has any merit.

89 Ski

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 10:49am
Lewy My boat seems to like to drain in the factory (mid-ship) drain. It would take alot to tilt it enough to drain to the rear. But I have a CC trailer, maybe yours will tilt farther. If you seal up your floor & stringers well, you shouldn't have a rot issue even if you do get water back in your foam. Besides supposedly the new foam doesn't absorb water like the old foam did (closed cell vs. open cell).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 10:56am
The way mine was put together inside, those 3 drains wouldn't have helped much. If I ever have to go back under the floor, I think I'll run a line down the outside of the secondary stringers to pull out the stern after the foam goes in. That way any water would have a path through the wing stringers.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 8:02am
I did some experiments with the boat today. I filled the bilge with water up to bottom of tranny. This was to check if I had any leaks.

I then drained from center bung with boat level.
When the water had completely drained. I raised the front of the trailer as high as it would go the limiting factor was the prop guard.

There was a fair bit of extra water that now drained from infront of the motor area. I have now decided to put a bung in the transom and store boat between uses with the jockey wheel raised as I believe this test proved there is a bit more trapped forward of the engine that does not drain as well as it should.

89 Ski

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 10:19am
Im on my 5th day with a commercial dehumidifier enclosed in a soggy boat and its still f-n wet it almost impossible to get moisture out of a boat. this method of Extracting the water seems to work. soon as its done in the boat its in its going into another to dry it up.
keeping the boat dry is key after each use and storage
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 2:40pm

There was a fair bit of extra water that now drained from infront of the motor area. I have now decided to put a bung in the transom and store boat between uses with the jockey wheel raised as I believe this test proved there is a bit more trapped forward of the engine that does not drain as well as it should.

If the water is already in front of the center bung a transom one isn't going to help. Raise up the jockey lift enough for that water to drain out the center bung, no need for another hole in the transom.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2008 at 8:41am
Updated picture with decals will get some better ones on our next trip out. Used the tiff file for the 87-88 and tried to make it look a bit more like 89 but slightly bolder by using a white outline as well as a shadow. The 87-88 decals have the letter spacing more compressed than the 89 also increasing the height of the letter as well as the outline accentuated this but it did not look right when it was spaced more between letters.Still not sure of reverse slope either but decided to go with it. Not totally original will probably get some original decals when I need to order something else from a CC dealer in US in the future. Pete the globe above the Correct Craft is not original either it includes Australia on mine. The silver is very heavily metal flaked this picture does not show it very well.

Overall pleased with the outcome I had contemplated more up to date Ski Nautique decals from a 2006 or Air Nautique in same style but Pete "keep it original" kept whispering in my ear.

89 Ski

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2008 at 9:00am
Lewy... That's one sweet looking rig!!
Congratulations mate!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2008 at 8:14pm
Bump.????? Why is this not listing on the latest replys?

89 Ski

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2008 at 9:50pm
The front wheel is crooked?!!?   

Just kidding, very nice! Clearly an unloved boat.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 11:08am
Lewy, is that silver metal flake pinstriping that I see as well? Nice!

Im usually on the all-original bandwagon, but there are a lot of original touches that I see, I think it looks great. Job well done!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 5:06pm
Well it looks real sharp but I must admit I think the regestration letters are a little small on the bow maybe you need to replace them with something the water patrol can read from 10000 Km out enstead of just 5000 km out.

Just messing they do look pretty large though but the boat and trailer are top notch.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 8:41pm
The legal requirements for rego letters in NSW state are 150mm high. I think it is almost uniform right throughout Australia now. It does make it hard to try and blend them in at that size.

You guys are much luckier in the US where the rego numbers can be much smaller. How come no one seems to use custom fonts for them just the standard black block lettering. Is it a legal requirement to be that way.

Yeah TRBenj it has silver metal flake pin striping. The boat had this type of pin striping when I imported it I thought it was original?

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 8:49pm
Lewy, the first boats I saw with the metal flake pinstripe were the Masters Edition schemes in '97, I believe. I dont *think* they used it back in '89, but I could be wrong.

3" is the standard height for reg letters in the U.S. Most people dont go to the trouble of doing anything fancy with them- but I bet many of us on here have. All of my boats have decent looking numbers.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2008 at 9:53pm
Lewy,
I believe regs are pretty consistent throughout the states. Besides the 3" tall lettering, they also require block style letters of a contrasting color to the hull.

Great job on the boat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Well it looks real sharp but I must admit I think the regestration letters are a little small on the bow maybe you need to replace them with something the water patrol can read from 10000 Km out enstead of just 5000 km out.

Just messing they do look pretty large though but the boat and trailer are top notch.

Haha, first thing I thought too...."why didn't you buy the big ones?" Looks real nice though I like it.

How did you get the decals made? I understand there are tiff files in the reference section, but do the graphic shops still need dimensions? If I'm thinking right, they would at least need 1 dimension to scale everything to. Has anyone used a graphic shop to make some that they could recommend, I'm wanting to replace mine as they are in need of some TLC.

...threadjack over. Sorry
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2008 at 10:11am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

How did you get the decals made? I understand there are tiff files in the reference section, but do the graphic shops still need dimensions? If I'm thinking right, they would at least need 1 dimension to scale everything to. Has anyone used a graphic shop to make some that they could recommend, I'm wanting to replace mine as they are in need of some TLC.

...threadjack over. Sorry

The tiff files in reference are correct dimensions for 85-87 decals. I just did a bit of resizing and modifying to resemble 89 style closer.

One of our crew took this picture today. Shows the metal flake on decals a bit better.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic