Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterize question for warm climate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterize question for warm climate
    Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:09pm
I hate to wear out this subject. I have read the many posts. I am in Fort Worth and we have relatively mild winters. We do get overnight freezes and sometimes it stays freezing throughout the day, but that is rare. My main question is: If I drain the back right and front left drain on the block, both manifolds, the elbow on the water pump and make sure all water hoses are dry won't that be sufficient? I think antifreeze is overkill in my neck of the woods. I know the PO and he just drained it. My concern is what percentage of water does that expell out of the block? Are they designed to drain out enough so there is not enough left to expand and cause damage? I looked for a cross section of an engine to see where the water is, but couldn't find one.
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by kman kman wrote:

I have read the many posts.

Read some more!!! You must have missed the many times I have stated that antifreeze didn't become real popular until sometime in the 70's. It is secondary freeze protection I feel started by marinas with incompetent mechanics. People to this day still drain only. Eric drains only as a example!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:27pm
I got that. I just wanted to confirm that draining the block and all water lines was all there was to it, because it was not difficult and did not take long. Amazing that marinas charge so much...
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:30pm
To clarify: Approximately how much water is left in the block after draining?
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:33pm
Kirk,
Pull the plugs and then raise and lower the jack stand of the trailer. There really won't be much water left in the engine.

If you plan on draining frequently, did you see the thread with these stopcocks?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:36pm
Kirk,
Regarding the water still in the block, think of it this way - If there was enough to bust the block then the people draining only would have big problems!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:37pm
Those are the stopcocks I have on the block. And my boat is on a lift, so the boat is always level. Don't you think it will still drain enough out to be safe?
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 11:00pm
Kirk,
I feel it will be fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:47am
some of the newer boats have hoses hooked up with a little valve and are kept high, you simply grab the hose and lay it in the bildge and let it drain, it really is simplier than what I am describing, but if you use the boat occasionally in the colder weather its a pretty good set-up...same concept as the oil drain kit
"the things you own will start to own you"
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 7:34pm
Kirk,
    I live in the DFW area. All I do is drain the engine. My boat is already setup with quick valves so draining only takes a minute. I have 4 quick valves and 1 that looks like a readiatos. I have 1 on the back of each on the manifold, 2 on the engine (1 each side), and the front hose has one of those T screw types. That's my undertanding and no problems so far. I think the total water is about a gallon or less.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I think the total water is about a gallon or less.

The block and manifolds hold way more water than that. I always add 2.5-3 gallons of antifreeze after draining to fill them back up.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 8:27pm
Now we know. Since I don't do I guess I was thinking about how long it took to drain the water and took a wild guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic