NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Build Your Own Prop Puller

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 10:18am
I use to be the first to jump at projects, then i find myself pulling in at 10:00 at night, you know my friend left me this car and it really is one of a kind but it needs some work and Im committing 2 hours a night to it...somehow, someway he is looking down with a smerk, it really is the last thing i need to be doing, Im hoping to have it done by July for a road trip North to Kringle land
"the things you own will start to own you"
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 3:37pm
Pete,
I like your puller. I agree it probably puts a more uniform load on the prop hub. But, Bill's puller fit's my needs better (mainly from a manufacturing standpoint...i don't have the resources to easily build one like your's the way it should be built).
I think if Bill's style is aligned correctly and the puller body is as rigid as possible, the uneven load on the prob hub (and bending of the puller) can be minimized. Many of this style have been used successfully and this is also the style the major prop manufactures sell...so it must be at least adequate...
I though about calculating the max bending moment on the puller using the stripping torque for a 3/4-10 grade 8 nut and designing for min deflection...but, I think "seat of the pants" engineering is Ok for this job. I may increase the thickness from 1/4" to 5/16" or even 3/8" and i'll definitely add gussets where possible. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 3:16pm
I made my puller last weekend. I made two changes from Bill's design.
1) puller "claw" from 2 piece to 1 piece. I think it's a little stronger this way.
2) increased width of the puller body from 1" -> 2" (increased resistance to bending).
I also made a jig to keep the claw and the nut in alignment during welding. I drilled the center of the bolt, but still need to add a steel rod to keep the bolt centered on the prop shaft. I wanted to add some more weld/reinforcement to the nut area (i think this is the weak link) but ran out of sheilding gas and the welding supply store was closed. I think it came out pretty good.
Thanks Bill for how-to!!

Puller Body

Jig with claw tacked on

Tacking jig to puller body

Welding claw and nut

Finished Product

What my backyard looked like that day
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2009 at 9:16pm
MI-nick - You might want some more weld on that nut, looks like the weakest link.

Otherwise it looks like it should pull hard!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic