NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79BFN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 10:35pm
Plugs?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 3:05am
Greg, plugs really don't look bad. I'm guessing I just haven't run it long enough cause they still look new.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 10:35am
Kirk, a tip Eric has is to go through the starter hole and release the damper plate bots off just a small amount so it centers on the trans, then bolt back up, apologies if you have done this already but if not may be worth a shot as it only cost you time to do.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 10:36am
I've been following this thread for some time now and let me tell you, you have done a great job on restoring this boat! I'm slowly grinding out my stringers. I know my boat will never look as good as yours,but,I use your project as a reference to my 72 southwind. I'm new to inboards and I'm no trans expert either. I've read that you had water in your transmission. Seems to me water in the trans could kill a bearing like main bearings in an engine with water in the oil. The way your log was wallered out seems like the tailshaft bearing(if that is what it is called in a marine trans) had a lot of stress on it for some time. If it was a truck I'd say it sounds like either a u-joint, a pinion bearing, or a tailshaft bearing. Seems like you've replaced or repaired every part of the rotating assemblies fore and aft of the trans. Just an outsiders opinion. Happy hunting, can't wait to hear that 2000 rpm's are smooth as the work you've put in to that beauty.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 12:32pm
Greg did we miss the obvious......you, if anyone should know
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg did we miss the obvious......you, if anyone should know

It's tough to say from here...just tried your cell.

OK, the plugs don't look too bad, but what do they look like? Clean, brown, black? Does 1 or 2 look different than the majority?

To me, an engine vibe feels 'heavier' than a drive vibration if that helps. Did you start at the strut when you did the alignment?
1988 BFN-sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 6:00pm
Plugs are clean. I can't tell that any really look any different.

I've aligned this thing about 6 times now and I feel like it's pretty good. What exactly do you mean by starting with the strut? I did put a new 2piece cutlass bearing in.

I've been messing with changing, or adding a new wire from the ign switch back to the coil. Holy crap is it misserable outside......Once I cool off, I'm going to back her down in the water and give it another try.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 6:11pm
The strut is your fixed point. Disconnect the coupler and loosen the log boot so the coupler end moves freely. Then prop the coupler end of the shaft and adjust that until the shaft is centered in the cutlass bearing front and back. Then align the engine to that.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 8:24pm
Greg, I'm with you on the alignment. It's awful hard to feel what perfect .000 is with the shaft in nothing but the strut/cutlass, but I feel like I've had it there about all 6 times that I've done it now.

I did just take it for a run. It seems as though my increase in voltage to the coil and distributor has exaggerated the problem and you do definitely feel it when the boat is in nuetral and messing around with giving it throttle. I took the neighbor for his opinion and made him sit in back. He says you can hear it missing, but it is a real fine miss.

As I previously mentioned, the plugs all looked similar and still look new. I replaced the wires and plugs together 3 wks ago(and I have been over and over the firing order). Unless it's a cap or rotor, I'm stumped. There is nothing visually abnormal with the cap or rotor, but I will replace with new here shortly.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2011 at 9:18pm
when you inspected the plugs did you only use the boat at the "problematic" rpm range?

Eric, maybe it's too lean?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 12:18am
PROBLEM SOLVED! Vibration gone!
Culprit was a motor mount. Old man neighbor of mine taught me a trick. If you take a piece of wood (in this case a 1x4 about 3' long) put your ear to the flat side of the wood and the other end on various locations with the motor running, you can hear all of the harmonics. This is really amazing.

With the gps, top speed 47mph and smooth as a top!

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 12:24am
Glad you get her running right! When are us Carolina boys gonna hook up? Kids start back to school Thursday and fall is right on it's tails.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic