NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NO power when turning key

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 9:52am
once again.....97 percent of ALL electrical problems are bad connections, im not making that up, I live by those words and pretty much have come to the conclusion that it is 99 percent
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Hello,

but my boat sometimes will not start

Donald

Donald,
Sounds like you're heading in the correct direction with new battery cables and taking a look at the NSS/shift cable adjustment. If you don't have a meter, you can pick one up for less than $20. Great to have not only for the boat but around the house and car too for checking voltage, continuity, resistance, etc. Get one, set it too resistance, remove one of the white wires from the NSS, touch the terminals with the meters probes and it will tell you exactly when the NSS switch is opening and closing as you move the shift.

BTW, Many times diagnosing a problem can be difficult due to poor descriptions. This thread is a prime example. When stating the engine won't start, always define it as not "turning over" or not "cranking". If the engine does turn over but won't "fire" then it's known which direction to go for troubleshooting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 11:34am
Pete,

Thanks for the help. I have a Volt Meter, but I really do not feel comfortable working it yet. I have a manual I guess I need to read it. LOL !!!

I will set it to resistance and check it out. That was the clue that I needed. I hear people talk about Ohm-ing ( SP?)it out.

Thanks,
Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 11:49am
and, Pete, same with transmissions, did you check the oil? no?
is the oil burnt? i dont know..........did you know you had a transmission in there? no
not in any way downgrading, but thats what i learned over the years
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2009 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

and, Pete, same with transmissions, did you check the oil? no?
is the oil burnt? i dont know..........did you know you had a transmission in there? no
not in any way downgrading, but thats what i learned over the years

Mine just has a handle near the driver's seat to tell it which way to go.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic