NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stringer mold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stringer mold
    Posted: January-21-2009 at 7:06pm
There are lots of different threads on here where people have tackled a stringer/floor in these boats. I don't think I have the kahuna's to take on such a project b/c of two things. 1. I don't have the confidence to refab a stringer from virtually nothing if need be. 2. I question whether or not I could get the engine mounted back in the right spot.

Has anyone ever thought of making a mold of each stringer, including secondaries, to offer as a resource for the folks on the site. Could a mold not be made so that folks with the exact boat wouldn't have an easier go at it? I guess you'd have to use some type of pourable stringer system, but would this work? It would definitely be worth somethign if someone could do this? Especially for say the 2001 series boats as they seem to be the most plentiful.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 8:21pm
Which boat are you looking at? I ask because you're signature line shows a boo.

I think it would be beyond cool to 'plug-n-play' these stringer jobs...but...

As we all know, many have gotten to the finish line by different meathods. I cut down to what I think was the original bed for the stringers, but I still had a lot of fitting to do. It would take some careful grinding to have it even from front to back. Only a touch on 1 end would throw off the other a good bit. These boats we love seem to not always be clones either.

What I think is that by the time you're ready to drop in a pre-formed stringer, the worst is over. Call me sik, but I enjoyed the work once the grinder was put away!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Call me sik, but I enjoyed the work once the grinder was put away!

Agreed. That was the only part I truly hated about my project. Even digging out the foam had it's rewards when a big clean chunk would pop out.

You can do it. It takes patience, advice, time, and three times the measurements you think you will need. I was nervous about the motor going back in the right place, too. I dry fit mine the other day and am totally confident it will be in the same place as before.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 9:12pm
BuffaloBFN, I'm tinkering with the idea of a project boat. The cold weather always makes me think these goofy things. I'd love to find a project 2001.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2009 at 9:50pm
If I can do it, anybody can do it. You just got to quit looking at it and dig in to it. I have a nice original outer stringer for a 60's Mustang that made perfect stringers for my floor job. If anyone needs a tracing of it let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic