NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Pylon support

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Pylon support
    Posted: February-28-2009 at 11:58pm
I have a 79 cc which has the plate for a ski pylon but never had one installed. I recently rebuilt the floor with the same dimensions as the wood that was previously there. I'm still a little nervous about installing a ski pole there. What support(s) should I have in place around the hole that goes through the floor to the base plate to make sure nothing breaks?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2009 at 12:08am
Yak3,
There's the plate on the floor that's welded to the pylon plus another square plate under the floor, These two are bolted together through the floor and the wood 2x cross member running between the main stringers. Then there's the pin in the bottom of the pylon and it goes into the socket that's glassed into the keel of the boat. That's it!!

Are you worried about the work you did on the floor? How about some pictures so we can get a idea of how much you did. New stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 5:37pm
I'll take pictures when I can. I think the wood is maybe 3/4" thick. The wood that was there originally was only 1/2" and there is no pin hole in the base plate. I'll take pictures when I can. I just want to make sure I don't have a base plate rip out of the bottom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 6:02pm
Yak,
I did a search on your posts. I didn't go through all 41 of them but quite a few. I can't find where you've mentioned the model of 79 you have! What is it? I'm asking because there should be a socket glassed to the keel and the 2x between the stringers if it was a model the originally had a pylon! If you don't have these, you'll need to add them. Do post some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 5:16am
Been working a lot lately and commuting to Denver, the base plate is glassed into the hull, its a threaded socket, and there has never been a pylon there before. I'll try to get the pictures on here tomorrow.
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 1:39am

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:43am
Yak,
I'm sure you have looked forward under the floor to check for a 2x? If all you have is the 3/4 ply at the point where the pylon goes though the floor are you sure you replaced the floor and stringers exactly like the factory

What model is the boat??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 10:51am
Pete, my 79 SN didn't have a 2x. You may remember the sandwich plates I posted some time back; that was why!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2009 at 11:08am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Pete, my 79 SN didn't have a 2x. You may remember the sandwich plates I posted some time back; that was why!

Some of the 60's didn't have the 2x and they didn't even have the plates!!!

My 77 does have the 2x?????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 3:33am
Yes, I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I have from before the rebuild. 17' 79CC Mustang, thats about all i know as far as model.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2009 at 11:26am
Yak,
Unlike the American Skier which was the 17' "ski" version, the Mustang 17 didn't come with a pylon as standard equipment. I suspect that the keel sockets were put in all the hulls when molded and then they trimmed out the boat to ether model. I don't know why they would not have installed the 2x at the stringering stage though. Check your pictures.

I do suggest you get something under the floor between the stringers. Whether a wood 2x piece or a aluminum frame lagged into the stringers. However, it's going to be tough with the floor in place. How did you put the floor in? Screwed only or resined in? What resin did you use for the stringer/floor job?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 1:16am
Those stringers are resined in. I used the west system. I couldn't find any pictures that you can really tell how thick the wood is, but I believe it to be the same. I've got a friend who is a welder, might be able to buy him a few cases in exchange for a support system underneath. The fiberglass on that piece of would is covered in 2 layers of biaxial, 2 mat, and 1 layer of the thinner glass on each side. Would that be enough?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Yak3 Yak3 wrote:

Those stringers are resined in.

I asked about the ply floor to see how difficult it would be to pull it up so you could get a 2x under it.

I couldn't find any pictures that you can really tell how thick the wood is

Stick your hand under the floor and feel for extra reinforcement.

I've got a friend who is a welder, might be able to buy him a few cases in exchange for a support system underneath.

Not a bad option.

The fiberglass on that piece of would is covered in 2 layers of biaxial, 2 mat, and 1 layer of the thinner glass on each side. Would that be enough?

Even though many of the 60's pylons were installed with just a 3/4" ply floor without reinforcement, these pylons were pinned into the keel with a clevis. This counteracted the pulling force on the pylon. Your pylon with just a slip fit socket at the keel the pulling force on it is counteracted with the pylon plate bolted to the floor. So, no I don't feel the glass covered ply will do it. Something has to go under the floor to reinforce it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 1:58pm
Pete,
you don't by chance know a guy named Dave from Waukesha that used to be involved in the automatic car wash business do you?
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 5:12pm
does anyone have any schematics/detailed pictures of something I can have my friend put together underneath the flooring to support the ski pylon? I was thinking I could use lag screws into the stringers much like the motormount screws.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 5:59pm
Yak,
Since you will be adding a support that isn't the normal, you'll need to create your own design. I'd say a couple 2x2 aluminum angles with flanges on the ends so they can be lagged to the stringers would work. It's not going to be fun to get it in place and the reason I asked you how the floor is fastened down. Again, how is the floor fastened down?

Sorry but I don't know anyone in the car wash business. Same last name or what?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 6:59pm
Yak,
Thinking about this frame/support, without removing the floor it will be hard to get it between the stringers due to it's diagonal measurement. You would end up having to make it shorter than the width between the stringers and then shim the gap closed when lagging. You may be better off making it in 3 pieces keep the ends separate, lagging them in and then bolting the center frame on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2009 at 11:41pm
Pete,

Yak maybe referring to the guy on the north end of Big Stone 3 or 4 houses East of Kee's. He is at the ski shows alot and may even drive the pickup boat now and then. I have met him, but at this moment I can't remember his last name. I am sure he was in the car wash business. Now comfortable retired.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yak,
Sorry but I don't know anyone in the car wash business. Same last name or what?

Well, Charlie (Brady) mentioned that you may be referring to someone in Three Lakes who is from Waukesha but has a second home up north! And then, my social director (wife) has informed me that I should know this gentleman. Kids active in our ski club? Does he fly a high performance single engine plane?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 6:27pm
That sounds like him Pete. I don't know about the kids, but you are right about the airplane. I remembered him talking about someone he knew up there who knew a lot about these boats. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start this project on monday morning. I'll take pictures.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 8:24pm

That sounds like him Pete. I don't know about the kids, but you are right about the airplane.

I just got word back from my other social director (my daughter). Is it Dave Ausloos? I understand his kids are too old to be in the ski club but Dave donates time and money and takes the club kids up for rides in his plane. My daughter states he is the most generous person she knows - I wonder what happened to me?? I guess they forget who pays for their college!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Yak3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 4:21pm
Thats him. He's real down to earth. Ask him about the boat he bought where the hull was split in two and he merged them back together sometime, it's hilarious the way he tells it. His hangar is two rows over from my dad's and he would stop by when I was rebuilding the floor just to see the progress. Haven't seen him in a while, just cause I haven't been out there.
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2009 at 2:27am
Ijust brought home an '86 Martinique to restore. The original carpet covers a three to four inch round hole in the floor.
After I lifted the motor cover,I peered down to the keel. I saw what appears to be a glassed in, two to two an a half inch in diameter and three inch tall pedestal with a quarter to a half inch hole in the middle. I,too, am seeking a pylon to go in my boat. Let me know if any of you have any ideas.I am seeking original equipment only.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic