NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel filter tight

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel filter tight
    Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:20am
I have '89 with standard fram filter , it seems to be pretty dad gum tight , i was attempting to replace it, but don't want to crush the housing in the process....I am not sure last time it was replaced....any advise?

I may just replace the whole housing if I have no luck , it doesnt look the greatest anyhow.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 8:59am
When I replaced the fuel filter on my 89 it was also very tight. I had to remove the complete assembly to get the screw on body loose. It was much easier to get at the filter when removed from the boat it had obviously been a long time since the filter was last changed.

Replaced filter with a Baldwin equivalent PF936. I think I will probably replace the whole filter assembly next time the filter is due. The element was almost $50 I can buy a complete water seperating marine filter for about $70 and the replacement cartridges are less than $10 each.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 2:10pm
Unbolt it from the L bracket and flip it upside down. Bolt it back to the bracket and use a pipe wrench. You will have to remove the fuel-out line.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2009 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Unbolt it from the L bracket and flip it upside down. Bolt it back to the bracket and use a pipe wrench. You will have to remove the fuel-out line.

Good advice! By defeult that's exactly what I end up doing after trying different ways. Flip it upside down, bolted, and the bottom has a nice socket to remove the canister. THere is a brass fitting at the bottom you can remove to get the fuel out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic