NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

changing oil with drill pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 2:59pm
copper zinc... wikipedia...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2009 at 10:56pm
Yes,
Bronze is copper alloyed with tin.

Brass is copper alloyed with zinc.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 12:39pm
Every day you learn s'thing new!!!
Well I took the plug to a friend who is an artist and works with welding, he does big insect (ants, spiders, etc) made out of metals, so he should be able to weld a T on the plug...
I will pick it up today...
So when I assemble the plug again how much time do I need to let the sealant cure before putting the boat on the water again?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2009 at 1:45pm
Seb,
The only bad thing about 5200 is it's cure time. It can be several days depending on the humidity. (It's a moisture cure poly) Spraying some water on the area after you get it in the boat will help. I'd wait a couple days and then feel the excess to see if it is set up. Doesn't need to be hard but just firm and not tacky.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 4:40pm
well I went to this friend and we share a couple of beer and we came out with this.. a fawcet water handle welded to the old plug.. not fancy but sure functional....

I wanted to go today and intall it but I`m having some flu... hot weather and ac itīs killing me.. all the family is the same way
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 5:45pm
I would clean up the flats on the plug some before you install it, with the tee I bet your not going to have enough leverage to get it tight enough and you'll have to use an adjustable wrench on the square section to get it tight enough, and then there is also the possibility that the weld might snap, but I'm sure it's a good weld but better safe than sorry though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 6:27pm
Seb,
Very creative!!

Chris,
I've never had to wrench tighten any bilge drains on any of my boats and have never had a leakage issue. Hand tight has always worked plus, remember unlike your arms, mine are spindly!!!

Seb,
Before you set it back in the boat, work the plug into the hull fitting by tightening and loosening 15 to 20 times. This will remove any possible high spots in the pipe threads so they seat properly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Seb,
Very creative!!

Chris,
I've never had to wrench tighten any bilge drains on any of my boats and have never had a leakage issue. Hand tight has always worked plus, remember unlike your arms, mine are spindly!!!

Seb,
Before you set it back in the boat, work the plug into the hull fitting by tightening and loosening 15 to 20 times. This will remove any possible high spots in the pipe threads so they seat properly.

done.. I cleaned it and wire brushed it. It fits smoothly.. I went there today and installed it. Now I'm just waiting the 5200 sealant to cure... hope it does for saturday....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I would clean up the flats on the plug some before you install it, with the tee I bet your not going to have enough leverage to get it tight enough and you'll have to use an adjustable wrench on the square section to get it tight enough, and then there is also the possibility that the weld might snap, but I'm sure it's a good weld but better safe than sorry though.

Cris that was my concern but it has nice leverage.. I have small hands....but as here pete says I will hand tighten it...I donīt want it to frosen again there...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 9:04am
Sebastian......You could always lube the threads a lil bit with some vasaline or O-ring lube ( Parker Lube) before you install the plug.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 5:44pm
yeap that was my next question about this.. I was thinking on some type of grease (red) or graphite based grease???
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2009 at 10:25pm
its been a long winter, I dont want to hurt your guy's feelings, after this thread well.......its been a long winter
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 3:26am
I have to agree eric...

And Tim...you should know enough by now to watch your wording a little closer..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2009 at 12:07am
Ok plug worked nicely... next oil chage will be the first time I will have the op to use the drain system since I own the boat...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic