NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magnetic oil plugs?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnetic oil plugs?
    Posted: March-13-2009 at 11:43pm
My new boat should be here in two weeks. I ordered it w/ the ZO6 motor. I keep magnetic oil plugs in all my vehicles to pick up any metal shavings(especially w/ a new motor), but do not know if they are available for boats or this particular motor. Does anyone use these plugs in there boat, or do you know where I could find one? I'm told they can really help out with the longivity of a motor.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 12:14am
If you have a drain kit installed, I'm not really sure you would be able to do this since the plug is at the end of a long piece of hose...

I have magnetic plugs in the front and rear differentials of my Tundra. Had them in the differentials of my Tacoma also. I have never seen them used in the oil plug, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea...

I had read somewhere... this guy had used a couple rare earth magnets. The really, really strong ones you can find if you dismantle old computer hard drives. He stuck them on the outside of his oil filter. I guess they would help to trap metal shavings.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 1:37am
That's not a bad idea, thanks. I know they have alraedy tested the boat, (I'll try to attach some photos), but I guess it would be best to try something like that during the 25hr break-in? What do you think?

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 1:38am
Wow, thought I resized those guys...sorry.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 12:36pm
go back and edit,   hit enter between the photos. This will stack them.

I thought JEGS or Summit had magnetic oil filter sleeves. They are kinda pricey if I recall. I saw them in one of the catalogs, but cannot find them on either site.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 5:39pm
a couple of refriderater magnets on the oil filter works well
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 5:40pm
actually we could mass market them with the CCF logo on them and then retire to the Bahama's
"the things you own will start to own you"
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2009 at 8:09pm
I think I found what you were refering to. This "looks" like a pretty good product, but I would like the opinion of some of you guys.
It is called FILTERMAG.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic