NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Ski Around the Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by SkiNautique 200 SkiNautique 200 wrote:

Great trick, many people end up with only the 180, but the 360 isn't any more difficult with 1 or 2 people. 5+ is when it gets hairy. 1 man is haulin, while 5+ long man is doing everything to keep the line tight. The back roller for the first two guys is pretty nasty.

My opinion on the atbs where guys go opposite directions, is that the first guys does and atb, while the other guy just hangs out and never really goes "around" the boat.. just merely whips and hangs, then cuts under the other guy.. but its a great parlor trick.. people really seem to dig it.

but no matter what ATB's are usually the favorite act for most guys.

Aren't we the negative nelly

I have to disagree with the 180/360 not being any more difficult. We see many teams doing the 180 ATB, which is not much more than a whip. The 360, which our team and driver pride ourselves on, takes more skier and driver skill. Driving the boat out of the trick, in the same direction as going in, makes the skier have to "pivot" to get back to the direction of the outgoing boat. The driver also has to "put on the brakes/bury the nose" to make that direction change.
   Now in regards to the opposite direction ATB Tick-Tock; both skiers go around the front of the boat, while going opposite directions. Doesn't that constitute an ATB in both directions? Two guys crossing the front of the boat, one clockwise, one counter-clockwise, at different instances, makes for on helluva parlor trick.

BTW, not much info your Bio. What team do you ski with?
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:43pm
Good post Tull,

SkiNautique200 came out of the woodwork...I agree that we need more info on this "show ski knowledgeable" member...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:50pm
I wonder...is it possible to do an ATB barefooting? Even if the footer slid on his a$$ for a little bit of that ride and it was only 180 instead of a 360, it would be pretty impressive.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

I wonder...is it possible to do an ATB barefooting? Even if the footer slid on his a$$ for a little bit of that ride and it was only 180 instead of a 360, it would be pretty impressive.

I've seen it done at Show Ski Nationals a few years back. Maybe Hollywood or Tull saw it too. Can't remember who did it.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
NEDLUTZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEDLUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 3:49pm
My 20yr old nephew has donr this in our local show for the last 2,3 yrs it's pretty scrary in the rough water ..
FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

The 360, which our team and driver pride ourselves on, takes more skier and driver skill. Driving the boat out of the trick, in the same direction as going in, makes the skier have to "pivot" to get back to the direction of the outgoing boat. The driver also has to "put on the brakes/bury the nose" to make that direction change.

We would like to learn to do this! Do you have a video?

FrankT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 3:57pm
I saw the Barefoot ATB in a tournament a couple years ago. It was much like a normal ATB with the footer getting the speed needed from the whip. Near the end of the whip, he set down in a butt glide and did a moving deep up. It was very cool, but of course he was not on his feet for the entire trick.
My favorite ATB's are the 7-man ( one was a girl ) ATB, or the 5-man bacerds ATB.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 4:01pm
We used to do 7 guys around one boat and 6 girls behind another in the same act. Crowd was impressed when the chicks took their helmets off!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 1:11pm
Tull- I agree with your post, yes if both skiers go in front of the boat, it would be legit. 85% of the time when you see the opposite direction atbs however, many teams take the easy way out and don't have both go all the around. I apologize for being vague. I realized that I discredited your original post. That wasn't my intention.

I too am a huge fan of the back atb, very tough to get a good driver, lately, I get 3/4 and lose line tension without a good driver. The 5 man is rediculous, but a few years ago, Jeff Shenk and Nick Meyer did a double back atb skiing for the Chain Skimmers. They were very fluid and made it look effortless. The nice touch was spinning it back to the front, 'not easy to do" and hitting the beach forwards.

While I'm being negative, the other highly scored atb that irks me is when guys are doing the "back" atb in the "funny" back postion, like they are riding a trick ski in the 180 "hip" turn postion and actually facing forwards but the ski is backwards. To me thats just bushleague and teams like Shawano (1st. in D2 last year) do it all the time and it scores big for them. So I guess if you can't beat em join em.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 1:17pm
Im about the same on the back ATB, just need a good driver.

Five Seasons ski team (my D1 team) used to send 3 around backwards behind a triple rig. That gets dicey!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 6:59pm
so my question is I guess it is Ok to speed up to 36mph and cut the wheel and stop the boat? if so I am going to try it tommorow I just did not want to hurt anything in the boat, or throw anybody out
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 7:18pm
Speed sound ok, observer is a great help to let the skier know when to cut away from the boat by using their arm up to arm down then skier goes. Observer needs to keep their head down!!!! Steer the boat with a little angle to the right, have the observer put down their arm and skier cuts out. Helps to have the skier start just outside the wake.

Keep your heads down!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 9:41pm
SN 200, who do you ski with?

Maibud, have you ever heard that disclaimer; 'We are professionals, don't try this at home"? Although most of us are not professionals, this trick should not be taken lightly,
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 1:14am
Truely you are right! Huge opportunity for some real safety issues. Best to learn from someone with experience! There is always the potential for the boat to run over the skier if the skier falls!!!!
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 10:22am
I have a tower could not try it if i wanted. besides I can't slalom ski all that well. I was really just wondering about cutting the wheel at 36mph
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:04am
Did you guys see this ATB clip I posted a month or so ago? I was pretty impressed.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I have a tower could not try it if i wanted. besides I can't slalom ski all that well. I was really just wondering about cutting the wheel at 36mph
The 360 is actually easier with the rope hooked up to a tower....you don't have to worry about the rope catching on the windshield. 36 is a pretty high boat speed. You need to get the skier out on a whip and if the boat is going 36 the skier will really be cooking.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

The 360 is actually easier with the rope hooked up to a tower....you don't have to worry about the rope catching on the windshield. 36 is a pretty high boat speed. You need to get the skier out on a whip and if the boat is going 36 the skier will really be cooking.

I would STRONGLY discourage anyone from using a tower for ATB.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 5:11pm
here is a decent veiw of a 360:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6bqidIuqcWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 7:48pm
YouTube video player
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 7:49pm
Ok, how do you embed video?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 7:55pm
copy the URL and use "tube" in the brackets instead of IMG like a picture

SkiNautique 200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 7:36pm
Tower works fine for a single atb, but it rocks the boat pretty good, we were making a full 3-man 360 with a nauqtique 206 team with a tower, but that was the max, and it was sketch because that boat cavitates anyway, so it was a challenge. A single is no problem, but check out my earlier post on the mini-hylon from Kw, thats the cats meow!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 7:45pm
This isn't a good pic but with our custom show ski pylon application we had our local welder make us a removable extension similar to the KW one...doesn't look as pretty as that but works really well....it was just hollow aluminum until we bent it over deeping up 3 guys. hehe

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 7:03pm
is it possible to do it in a wakeboard?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 7:07pm
I do it on my wakeboard all the time. I think it's easier than on a ski believe it or not. Kneeboard gets fun too, but I don't do that anymore :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

until we bent over deeping up 3 guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic