NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Ski (not tique)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 11:35am
Benzel - no, mine was fine. If you can just paint it flat black, there is way too much chrome on the dash, in the sun its awful.

Manual - non of these boats have manuals, just engine manuals. You can download a PCM manual from the reference section of this website; its all the same.

Trailer - the prop/rudder guard was only added in '86. Yes, I've replaced the plywood /carpet on mine also.

There is no winch nor post that is missing, its a drive-on trailer.

rub-rail; yes a direct match should still be available from a marine supply house. My neighbor crashed into my boat a few years ago and needed glasswork and a section right about where yours is missing, match is very good. Looks like your black rubber was cut also, so you need about 47' to replace that.

Also, some black electrical tape along the top of the windshield frame keeps its glare & reflections out of your eyes.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 11:07pm
What do I do about the deeper scars the glass has? Do they need a special filler?

Okay, here are some sample shots of the progress on the transom.

400 grit:

800 grit:

1000 grit:

2000 grit:

partially polished:

Here's a shot of the rear portside just for reference of how bad it was before:

I'm not totally satisfied with the polish, so I went and bought a 6" orbital, and some rubbing compound. Let me know of any suggestions you guys have for taking out the deeper scuffs and scratches.

Thanks
Ryan
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 12:18pm
Ryan,
     Looking good!!!! It takes some time and effort, but it looks 100% better already. I bought a nice buffer from NAPA which was expensive but works great. I did all my sanding by hand, just make sure to keep the gel wet! A coat of wax will be the final touch and provide you with some shine! Keep up the good work!!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 12:24pm
I used 3M super duty compound and finesse-it2 after my wetsanding and before wax. A good rotary buffer is worth its weight in gold as is a good wool pad.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2009 at 12:48pm
Yes, wool pad. I concur; 3M super duty. I use a Milwaukee var speed sander/grinder.

You can mix some gelcote to fill in the scars; Fill, cover with tape, remove tape before it fully cures about 10 min depending upon temp, wet sand the heavy, let fully cure, wet sand, blend & buff.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2009 at 8:01pm
Greg and Tom,
Good idea with the wool; I picked some up.

Greg- I just noticed that you have a '79 ski. That's the first boat I owned (co-owned)... I sure miss that thing. I'll have to post some photos, if I can find em.

Chris,
I'll ask you since you are currently sanding yours... About how often do you find yourself changing out the 320 pieces on your block? I'm using a sprayer, and I constantly keep it dripping wet, but it seems like with the 400 grit, every 2'x2' I need to change paper. Is that about par?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2009 at 9:44pm
Some say adding a little soap to you sprayer helps out. BKH
Livin' the Dream

316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2009 at 10:20pm
Thanks Brian, I'm going to go try that.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 2:39pm
Hey Ryan, I'm from Wichita as well! I saw that boat on craigslist and thought it was a good deal...Good luck with the restoration, looks like your well on your way!
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 9:24pm
What's up Braden? Yeah, the restoration is going, but I'm going to have to slow down because I've kind of been neglecting my studies...
One thing that sucks about having the boat here in town is I have no idea where I'm going to take it. After taking it to Santa Fe last weekend to see how it ran, I decided I wasn't going there again. I used to have a connection to a sandpit on the west side... I'm gonna have to check on that.
Where do you board?
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 11:44pm
I've got a couple of hookups on sandpits. I try to get down to Table Rock a few times a summer as well. I never go to Cheney or El Dorado, those lakes are boat killers!
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2009 at 11:50pm
I grew up on Table Rock! It's hard to find any water that measures up to the clear, glassy coves of the southwestern end (Shell Knob/ Kings River area), although my extended family have cabins on the Indian Point side, near Sleepy Hollow.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 11:24pm
Yeah, tough to beat Table Rock. We usually go to Shell Knob but sometimes hit the Baxter area. I love that lake!
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 4:41pm
Here's one side, mostly finished... minus the wax.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2009 at 6:25pm
Coming along. Looks much better. BKH
Livin' the Dream

316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2009 at 11:50pm
Update on what my girlfriend is now calling my "girlfriend on the side".
I still need to wax her, but all the teak has been re-oiled and is ready to be put back on.
I'm debating whether or not the tower color will work. The 3rd and final extra layer of glass under the front tower mounting points will go on tomorrow.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 1:13am
Looks good Ryan! What are you thinking your gonna do with the tower color if you change?
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 2:45am
I wanna say orange, but the bone probably wouldn't work so well with that. Not really classic, I know. Honestly, the more I look at this picture, the more I like it.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 11:41am
Personally I'd put the tower in the backyard and let the kids use it as a jungle gym. But whatever you do don't paint it orange, get to blend in a little better with the boat so it disappears. Black???

Nice work on your gelcoat.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 5:16pm
Haha... my nephew has been climbing on it in the back yard for the past three weeks. I would leave the tower off, but I really don't want to have to mess with patching holes.

As for the color, wouldn't it disappear more if it were body color? What about more of a navy?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 5:32pm
black
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 8:50pm
+1 on the black
Mike N

1968 Mustang

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2009 at 9:19pm
Either the deck color with a navy bimini or closer to the hull color
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2009 at 11:43am
the navy is so dark that it's going to look almost black at a distance but a nice dark navy wouldn't be bad as well then use a baige/tan bimi and your good.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2009 at 3:47am
Hey Ryan, Hows the progress on the boat coming? Got any shots on the water yet?
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 2:23pm
I know it may seem pretty weak, but no, I haven't even taken it out since summer started. I've been out wakeboarding... but not in my boat. My uncle has a Fox Racing edition Tige, and it's slightly more appealing to ride behind.
Murphy's law has gotten a hold of my Exploder. The transfer case isn't functioning correctly, so my tow vehicle is currently out of commission.
Anyhow, one of my buddies volunteered to tow her, so tomorrow I'll try and get some shots.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by 316-Ryan 316-Ryan wrote:

I know it may seem pretty weak, but no, I haven't even taken it out since summer started. I've been out wakeboarding... but not in my boat.

I know exactly what your talking about! I've skied 2 sets behind a 90 mastercrap and rode once behind a buddies wakesetter! Normally we ski at least 4 nights during the week and mess around on the wakeboards during the weekends!
316-Ryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 316-Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 9:51pm
Holy crap! I have to cut off the bowstop on my trailer... it is quite possibly the most retarded thing ever in the history of boat trailers. I've read the warnings in this very post about the old Supreme trailers, and I've been ridiculously careful the two times I've had to load it, but the lake closest to my house I've been tuning the boat on has an incredibly ***************ty ramp. To further illustrate, imagine a rectangular dining room table. You take a sledgehammer, smash off one of the legs... that's the ramp I was working with.
I have scoured the forums looking for the part Nautique trailers have. Crash pad and bow stop are the only things I can think of to call it... can somebody help me out? Where could I get one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic