Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum Rub Rail

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Rub Rail
    Posted: May-21-2009 at 4:47pm
I have removed the factory aluminum rub rail from my '77 SN to install a new rope style one. It has some scuffing damage but no dents. I just can't see holding onto it as I'm sure it would get damaged in storage. I live just outside Albany N.Y. Make an offer.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 12:51am
I need only about 6-8 ft of Rope Insert rub rail.... Got any Left over from the job?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 1:34am
I haven't installed it yet but if I have any left over I will let you know.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:28am
For my project, I could also use the aluminum but would prefer the Rubber w/rope insert. At least keep some of it in mind for me. I can get the new aluminum very easily in small sections...... but not the rubber w/ insert.

Thanks -

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 9:34am
Steve, I'll keep you posted. I hope to get around to it soon. I am in the middle of trying to figure out how far I am going to go with my graphics project. Have you had any experience with original painted on graphics and or cleaning white gel coat?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 5:35pm
What are you planning on doing? Keeping what you got..... or completely re-doing? Re-paint / re-gel, sand or buff? It can be moderate work or A LOT of work..... how bad is it?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 5:38pm
BTW- Are you SURE that you want to change to rubber with rope insert. That wasn't done by Correct Craft until the mid 78 model year..... Just throwing a bone to the "keep it original" fellas....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 1:49am
Well, I was originally thinking big. Preping the entire boat to have it re-gelcoated, than I bought some 3M gel coat restorer and it really came back to life. From the rub rail up it looks absolutely beautiful but below the rail it really shows it's age. There is some yellowing of the gel especially at the water line and some good scufs and gouges in spots. Woody at Southeast Correct Craft told me that Muritiac acid would take the staining out of the gel and to use a good compound and a buffer to bring it back. He sort of talked me out re gel-coating.
If I decide to go that route, the local auto-body supply has masking paper that I can put over the graphics and trace them out with an exato than paint. Certainly the low-buck approach but that's probably a good thing since we are in the middle of trying to finish some hefty house projects and not to mention its almost June and the boat is sitting on the middle of my garage.
I also bought a new set of decals for the back (AWSA, flag and since 1925 ones) which should help her look like a lady.
As far as the rub rail, I know, I am one of the people who almost always vote for keeping it original, but the aluminum looks so beat and it really stands out making the boat look worse than it is. I would consider buying new aluminum but I really like the looks of the stainless rail but that's not original either and its way out of my justifiable budget right now anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic