NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

92 SN questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 92 SN questions
    Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:44pm
I have been working on the boat the last couple of days and have some questions:

1) The horns need to be replaced. I have already gotten them out. What is a good replacement that is just as strong (db's) i.e. what are people using?

2) I need to take the mounting hub and steering wheel off. I have removed the wheel and self locking nut on the shaft. How do I get the mounting hub off? Do I need a steering wheel puller?

3)I recently noticed that when the boat is in neutral and the safety is on the drive shaft seems to be turning at a real slow speed. I thought if the boat was in safety mode the prop did not turn at all?

Thanks
        Larry
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 2:29pm
Larry,
1) I haven't needed to replace horns so I'll let someone who has comment.

2) Yes you need a puller because the wheel is on the helm shaft with a taper (just like most props). A 3 bolt plate style (flange style) or commonly called a "steering wheel - harmonic balancer" at the auto supplies. Some will let you rent or borrow them with a deposit.

3) The trans is starting to show it's hours or has been overheated. The clutch pack plates are dragging. Live with it until a rebuild is needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 9:25pm
Thanks,
The boat only has 240 hrs so I hope the tranny lasts a wee bit longer!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 2:37am
is not how many hours but how it was cared....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 2:38am
when was your last tranny oil change
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 12:32pm
I'm the original owner and the boat is well cared for. The tranny fluid was changed last year...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 3:37pm
Mine died when the boat was around 1200 hours..(and it was heavily used by the PO), the pump rotary gear assy cracked....the spare here was impossible to get and to have it send costed a lot, so I changed the whole tranny for a complete rebuilt unit, that a friend had at the marina....

But 240...is very low....
newoldboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 10:53pm
I would think that the linkage needs adjusted on the transmission end of the shifter cable. Disconnect the cable from the trans and put it in neutral with the lever on the trans. If you run it with the cable off and it still turns then you probably have trans issues. If not then just adjust the cable so that it actually puts the trans in neutral when in the safety position.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 11:54pm
if an early pcm, the drums would get an easily missed hairline crack around the seal ring area and on powering up the cracked will spread and lose PSI, and allow the pack to slip and heat warp the plates...what i mean by easily missed is after the fact when torn apart and rebuilt....the point, some of the early drums cracked in the beginning and were re-designed later on
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2009 at 8:05pm
My 1990 trans occasionally spun the shaft at idle in the driveway. AFAIK that trans is still super strong and is handling quite a bit of power in TRBenj's boat. I wouldn't worry about it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 1:55am
That was a concern of mine over three years ago an has still been going strong... So far.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic