NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when engage starter all power is killed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when engage starter all power is killed
    Posted: June-18-2009 at 7:27pm
when i turn the key i get power in the on position but when i turn to start it kills all power. Then i get no power even to accessories in the key on postiion. It kills everything. If i disconnect the positive battery cable and reconnect i get power again but then samething happens. The main fuse doesnt appear to be tripped. any idea whats going on. Im pulling it to the lake today for a long weekend. hope i can fgure this out.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 7:39pm
Jon,
Do you have one of these?

Battery post cleaner:

Sounds like your posts and cable ends need cleaning. What is the condition of your main cables? They could be internally corroded too. What condition is the battery in? Hopefully it's not a deep cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 7:52pm
i cleaned the posts and the inside of the clamps with a stone on the end of a die grinder. still no luck could be the cables though, the clamps and cables are original the battery is a red top optima
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 8:10pm
Jon,
Go to the auto supply and get a battery post cleaner. Do check your cables and terminals before you go to make sure they're ok too. Water will get under the cable insulation and corrode the copper. CC never used a decent marine grade cable that's tin plated. I suggest you at least get new cable terminals. The stone on a die grinder really isn't the greatest idea! Now you may have ground grooves into the inside of the clamp preventing full contact to the battery post. Also, you probably inadventantly imbedded bits of the abrasive stone into the lead terminal - depending on the stones abrasive type, it may be a insulator!!!

Make sure you check the lugs at the other ends of the cables too. They may be in bad shape as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 9:40pm
we've had this happend to us plenty of times as pete suggested clean the wires or get new ones. If this happens to us on water wich is most of the times we just clean the terminals with some really light sanding and thightning the terminal back very tight. usually does the trick
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2009 at 7:55pm
hanks guys. just got back to the computer. i replaced the cables and she ran great all weekend. thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic