Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what has stranded you on the lake. Sick of my luck
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what has stranded you on the lake. Sick of my luck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bimmerboyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bimmerboyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what has stranded you on the lake. Sick of my luck
    Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:47am
My luck with this Boat is killing me,
After purchase find out flywheel is missing teeth, found out on the lake. A whole season later I take off another tooth so it wont start at all.

Start of this season I had everything done new Flywheel, tune up, rebuild starter. However the mechanic never mentioned I should probably rebuild the carb. The C clip on the float broke the first time I had it out on the lake. The shop I took it to told me I should rebuild the Carb.

On the way home lose a wheel and destroy the axle 200 miles away from home.

Took it out yesterday and it died under full throttle 40mph to 50mph. Seems like the same thing as when the C clip came loose on the float. I had enough tools to take the engine apart but I have no idea what or where the float on the carb is. I want to rebuild the carb so any link to that would be appreciated. I feel that if I rebuild it myself I will understand what to look for in case something happens on the lake.

So what I would like is your stories that stranded you in the water, what you did to repair it to limp back to the marina or fix it completely to enjoy the rest of the day.

Also what is a must to take on the water with you incase it breaks.
C clip
Spark plugs
Oil gaskets
Water house
Etc
Truck
2002 F350 14" lift Powerstroke
1978 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 10:26am
I guess I don't have you "luck" as I've never been stranded out on the water in all my years of boating with a mechanical problem. However, I did need to beach my 1964 X55 once. I had bought the boat knowing that the model was prone to bottom ply delamination but did inspect it and found none. Then after about 5 years of running it it sprung a major leak! Under the engine where inspection is difficult, the inner keel had rotted. This allowed the ply bottom to open up at plaining speed. I went and got the small aluminum boat, kept the engine and bilge pump in the X going and towed it home. That winter I flipped the hull and it got a new bottom and keel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 10:59am
Andrew - It sounds like you have some worn parts in your carb. Maybe it is time for a new one (just make sure it is a Marine unit). I don't think it would be wise to take your carb apart while out on the water, due to the chance of raw gas being spilled in the bilge. I hope you get ahead of the maintenace curve, nothing like a tow-in to ruin your day.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 11:23am
First check that the fuel pump didn't fail. Then take the bowl and inley screen off and check for red papery flakes --if you see them the fuel pump is failing and will clog anything you do to the carb.

If you don't know where the float is, then that is an indicator the carb is not DIY, change the water separator, put in a new carb and fugetaboutit. A '78 carb has just about had it anyway.
Also Check the brass pivot that attaches the throttle cable to the Morse, they lik eto saw in half and wreck a perfectly fine day.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 11:31am
ah, lets see, newspaper down the fuel tank, blown blade off the middle prop, re-assembled turbo that blew, lobster trap lines around the props, I'll think of some more
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:00pm
Lobster trap lines? They got those out in Mendina?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:25pm
Well I wouldn't call it stranded since we never got 100' from the ramp but a few weekends ago I chased an electrical problem for most of a saturday morning. Boat would start and just kept dying, no power. I had changed the key switch the week before and thought I had in it but as soon as we unloaded it started cutting out again. Started crimping new terminals on wiring under the dash because if I wiggled wires the power would come back on. Long story short we found it was a corroded dash fuse holder. Jumped the horn fuse holder to the ignition and ran it the rest of the weekend.

Past sunday I got back under it to replace the fuse holder and ended up replacing all six holders, every small jumper wire I could and replaced three dash switches in the process, they were all green with corrosion and the tabs broke off. Next big wave to hit was going to break something and strand me for sure.

It never ends so don't get frustrated!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:48pm
Alan,
I had the exact same issue when I got the Tique. Fuse holder corrosion and the damn .250 bad female quick disconnects. They seemed to be very poor quailty and brittle. The female tabs whould break off even trying to remove them. I ended up replacing all of them. Regretably the new fuse holders had the same .250 quick connects as I would have prefered screw terminals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 12:50pm
spent some time up in Maine at the lobster boat races
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
I had the exact same issue when I got the Tique. Fuse holder corrosion and the damn .250 bad female quick disconnects. They seemed to be very poor quailty and brittle. The female tabs whould break off even trying to remove them. I ended up replacing all of them. Regretably the new fuse holders had the same .250 quick connects as I would have prefered screw terminals.

Yep, everything I touched lead right to another broken connector. It was really a house of cards waiting to come down on me but I think I got most of it righted.

ps. Did you see my email from last week about the Hurricane motor?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Fuse holder corrosion and the damn .250 bad female quick disconnects. They seemed to be very poor quailty and brittle.

All you need is a few hours of cleaning all those little tabs! Can't seem to totally stop it from coming back however. I certainly didn't have the patience or enough wire length to replace all the female dash blades but I believe M3Fan did on "the 90" before dumping it off. I even coated them all with dielectric grease. Still better but not what I'd consider 100%.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bimmerboyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2009 at 11:38pm
I know where the float is now and have read a few DIY on rebulding the carb.

Where should I buy the rebuild kit as the carb looks to be in good shape besides needing a rebuild. A full replacement is definitely not necessary.
Truck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 1:09am
NAPA carries these kits, I believe. Or there is a hundred places online, if you don't need to ask which one fits . . .

Ben Franklin
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 1:48am
Forgot to put the safety wire on the rudder on my '87 Martinique.....and the rudder promptly dropped out. Managed to get the boat toward shore, where it promptly ran over an underwater bouy and wrapped the rope around the prop. So, water is flooding in the boat, and I am wrapped up on a buoy 50' from shore. Had to dive in and swim to shore. Did I mention it was mid April in Wisconsin? It was COLD!! That was probably my most memorable experiece. There have been a few others as well. With boats....its always something!

PS: ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR SAFETY WIRE ON YOUR RUDDER!!! I will never forget again.
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:05am
As a PM manuver, it really doesn't hurt to crawl under the dash and remove / clean each terminal and spray or coat with some petroleum based product.Air is the oxidizing agent. This will slow down the oxidization process that is at the root of all these open circuit issues. My'80 has a bank of fuse holders on the dash and they are all liberally coated with white lithium grease.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bimmerboyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:38am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

NAPA carries these kits, I believe. Or there is a hundred places online, if you don't need to ask which one fits . . .

I was just checking if there was a supplier of parts on this Forum.
Truck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 10:40am
Originally posted by SUNAPEE CROW SUNAPEE CROW wrote:

As a PM manuver, it really doesn't hurt to crawl under the dash and remove / clean each terminal and spray or coat with some petroleum based product.Air is the oxidizing agent. This will slow down the oxidization process that is at the root of all these open circuit issues. My'80 has a bank of fuse holders on the dash and they are all liberally coated with white lithium grease.

Next time you're over at the auto supply, get a little tube of dielectric grease. It goes a long way and is really designed for the purpose. It's a great product!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 10:52am
Correct Parts (Boat Dr.) is a parts source connected to this site, they have a link on one of the pages here with a phone #. They give good advice too.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bimmerboyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 10:03pm
What do we like for Spark plug wires? What brand?
Truck
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 10:58pm
hmm we had a few of those bad lucks. most carb some battery tranny.
carb i just spray some carb cleaning down the trhoat and hurry back to shore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic