Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maherajah Ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
osukellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osukellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maherajah Ski
    Posted: July-11-2009 at 6:32pm
So I came across a Maherajah slalom ski and bought it for $10 and it is in excellent shape...I was just seeing if these things are worth anything these days or if anyone knows anything about them. I have searched online, and ebay has some listings, but no bids. Went the the ski website and they sell them new for $900-$1300. Just seeing what I can find out about these things! Thanks
Soon to be owner!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2009 at 6:54pm
They're only worth what the buyer will pay. Certainly worth more than $10. If the bindings need replacement, I suggest you do it soon. Bob Maher is still going strong, now in his 70s, he still skis, and still hand makes skis, but who knows how long. Bindings are available on his website. I am told that in good good condition, the old Mahas from the 50s and 60s can go for 300 or 400 dollars. But, most of the guys I know who collect them, like you, find them at garage sales for 10 or 20 bucks, so I'm not quite sure where this higher paying collector group is. I haven't seen it.

I have my father's Maha that he ordered directly from Bob in 1961. I recently replaced the bindings. After 45 years, 30 of which the ski was used heavily, the binding were rotten beyond use. Still haven't hung the ski on my wall, but that's the plan.

Also, for what it's worth, Bob is about as proud of his skis as you can get, however he specifically told me not to ski my Dad's old plank any longer. Said it really wasn't safe at that age.

I also have my own wooden Maha which I skied as a kid in the 70s. My wife has a Maha 360 (firberglsass) from which she removed the bindings and uses as a walkaround ski.

My $.02 BKH
Livin' the Dream

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2009 at 10:57pm
I collected a couple of Maha's in the past, and refinished them. I bought them with the grand illusion of actually using them as my primary skis. However, after a trip to the ski site with them, I realized that, while a lot of fun to work on and look at, they did not ski near as well as the newer technology skis. Just a little tricky to ski on, especially if you have gotten used to something else.

Still, very cool skis! If memory serves me correctly, I believe that Maha did an ad poster in the 70's produced with a scantily clad Suzanne Somers holding a ski.

I sold both slalom skis I had in the range of $350-$400.
osukellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osukellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 6:23pm
Thanks guys,
Prob gonna keep it as a souvenir! It looks good as is, so I will probably just leave it. Thanks for all the info!
Soon to be owner!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 10:37am
If it were me it would get displayed over the bar in my playroom.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic