Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help ID Gray Marine Engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bdbohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdbohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help ID Gray Marine Engine
    Posted: February-18-2004 at 10:56pm
I have a '64 Tournament Skier with a Gray Marine Engine. The brochure on this website says it should be 220hp, which I beleive would be a 327cid (from '66 price sheet, also on this website). Is there any way to identify this engine (without dissassembling and measuring bore & stroke)? I seem to remember the previous owner telling me it was a 287cid, but I could be wrong, it was 10+ years ago!
bdbohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdbohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 2:20am
OK, I've actually gone out to where the boat is stored, and the engine is a Gray Marine Fireball V8, listed as 138hp. Now I am not sure the boat is a '64, or what model. I am thinking maybe it is actually older(?). Anyone out there an expert on identifying older Correct Craft boats? It has the white stripes routed into the wood on the bow, as shown in the '64 brochure, but nowhere else...
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 3:18pm
i have a 1961 fireball manual. it only has a supplimental info on the 250 cubic inch 160 horse.

a 160 will have non-adjustable mounts (but they where an option)

the intake is unheated (, but so is the one on my 327/225?)

the clutch pack has 5 forward plates (,but the 327/225 has 9. disasembly required. and the service parts list contradicts this. oops)

the service parts list in the back of the book lists a 135,160,170,188,225 and a 238 hp models

find a part # off the head that starts with 'k' or 'h' and i can go backwards to determine the hp. you'll have a date stamp under the valve cover also.
bdbohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdbohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 6:42pm
I did see the engine, it has Fireball V8 138hp on the valve covers, and V8-138 on a plate on the intake runner. This motor seems huge to be only 138hp! The carb is a single bbl Carter, and the serial # on the motor is P1617. Any way you can work backward from that info to let me know what year that would be?
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2004 at 6:59pm
nope. my book is older than your motor. you'll have to take the two wing nuts of the valve cover. the date code will be right on the casting. 138 horse power, but boatloads of torque.

i did e-mail gray, but no reply jusy yet.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 9:18pm
ken spars has graciously replied to my email.

Hi,

I would have any parts you might need for this engine. Please contact me if you would like to order anything. Thank you.

Ken

ken@graymarine.org

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic